News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

BLMS... dislike the name, like the guy

Started by jkokura, March 12, 2014, 07:37:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkokura

Just as follow up...

Placed a ~$100 order last friday, the 14th of March, and I got it in the mail this morning. In Canada. Lawrence is good people.

On another note, I think I should also mention that some assembly is required... The parts I've gotten in, knobs and bezels in particular, are disassembled, meaning the washers and nuts are not attached. In the case of the knobs, the little insert, and the tiny little screws, are not necessarily inside the knobs. Those are a pain to assemble, so while getting my order fast and inexpensive is great, I'm not really a fan of having to assemble my parts once they arrive. Minor peeve, but still.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

GrindCustoms

Quote from: jkokura on March 20, 2014, 08:36:34 PM
Just as follow up...

Placed a ~$100 order last friday, the 14th of March, and I got it in the mail this morning. In Canada. Lawrence is good people.

On another note, I think I should also mention that some assembly is required... The parts I've gotten in, knobs and bezels in particular, are disassembled, meaning the washers and nuts are not attached. In the case of the knobs, the little insert, and the tiny little screws, are not necessarily inside the knobs. Those are a pain to assemble, so while getting my order fast and inexpensive is great, I'm not really a fan of having to assemble my parts once they arrive. Minor peeve, but still.

Jacob

I always had my knobs assembled, will find out too.. ordered a good bunch of clear knobs.

But for the bezels, don't you have to disassemble them to fix it to enclosure? Take out the little rubber and slip it on the LED and then put it in... to me that sound like an advantage.

Can't recall from where i had ordered some pots, but they came with the nut and washer seperatly, i really liked that. No need to disassemble to assemble it.
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

jkokura

I agree, you do need to take them apart, but I don't like it from a storage point of view, and one problem is - are you sure you got enough washers/nuts?

I have also gotten my pots from somewhere (probably Mammoth) without the washers or nuts on them. I think I ordered 100+ pots, and only had nuts for like 90 and washers for like 85 of them.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

GrindCustoms

Quote from: jkokura on March 20, 2014, 10:51:46 PM
I agree, you do need to take them apart, but I don't like it from a storage point of view, and one problem is - are you sure you got enough washers/nuts?

I have also gotten my pots from somewhere (probably Mammoth) without the washers or nuts on them. I think I ordered 100+ pots, and only had nuts for like 90 and washers for like 85 of them.

Jacob

I don't count them, i weight them.... for some reason i have a digital scale, so when i order parts in bulk quantity, i weight one and then weight the whole and verify if everything is there.

But i agree that if someone builds on a smaller scale and don't have is stash organized in a way to make proper storage and classification it can be a real down side.

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

jimilee

Quote from: GrindCustoms on March 20, 2014, 10:58:01 PM

Jacob

.... for some reason i have a digital scale, s.
Can't imagine why you would ever have one!...
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: jimilee on March 21, 2014, 01:46:52 AM

Beat me to it. Clearly it's for weighing postage ;)
I have one too. I use it for weighing the weight retention on defense ammunition. 5 years ago, not so much :D

That's how I counted the huge batch of transistors I bought. Weigh 10 of em to get an average. Then weigh all of em and do the math.
I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms

GrindCustoms

Jacob

Hahahahahaha!

I first got that scale maybe 6 years, i was modding ATV/Snowmobile «roller weights» in their centrifugal clutch setup, part of the tuning is to add or decrease the weight of the rollers to optimize the clutch opening/closing at different EngineRPM VS Drivetrain RPM.... so yeah precision is asked ;)

haveyouseenhim

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms

alanp

Hah, one night I was reading up about the price of gold (I was thinking about investing in some... not after seeing the price.)

But, gold is measured in either troy ounces (I have no idea, you might as well measure it in mouse asses for all the information ounces transmit to me), or kilograms (stupidly expensive.) So I ask my supervisor at work how many grammes a troy ounce is.

"Roughly 28 grammes, but most dealers will round it off to 30 grammes."

:o :o I don't think he was thinking about gold.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jkokura

It's awesome seeing someone type 'grammes' as most in North America use 'grams.'

It's the same with 'tonnes,' which is the proper, British English, spelling of the word that most people type as 'tons.'

I bought my digital scale for weighing my backcountry camping gear. My wife uses it for food measuring though.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

rullywowr

Jacob

for some reason i have a digital scale.

Surrrre!  For weighing "food" or something....

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

culturejam

Now that we're completely derailed ....

Quote from: jkokura on March 21, 2014, 04:04:26 AM
It's the same with 'tonnes,' which is the proper, British English, spelling of the word that most people type as 'tons.'

I have to deal with this at work all the time. In meetings, we actually pronounced tonnes as "ton-ies" to verbally differentiate metric from US standard. I recently worked on a huge proposal for a project in Canada (Peel Region), so all those units are still fresh. KJ/Kg instead of BTU/pound, and all that. What I can't figure out is why they asked for total system water consumption to be reported in tonnes. That was weird. I'm half convinced it was a typo.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

pickdropper

Jacob

Was it Mouser?  When I buy 1/4" jacks from them, the washers and nuts are always in separate bags.

PPP sometimes ships pots without the nuts and washers on them.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

DutchMF

Quote from: culturejam on March 21, 2014, 02:31:36 PM
KJ/Kg instead of BTU/pound, and all that. What I can't figure out is why they asked for total system water consumption to be reported in tonnes. That was weird. I'm half convinced it was a typo.

I'll keep the derailment going...... The kJ/kg and water consumption are familiar, what kind of work do you do? I'm an HVAC engineer, and use those a lot in calculations.

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

jkokura

My Dad once went and did some work in the States, in New York City I believe. He was installing some large letters on the face of a building, and being from Canada (Ontario specifically) he spelled the word Centre...

He had to go back and switch it to 'Center' which is the American spelling of the word.

It's so messed up here, and it's partially the American's fault. We were all Imperial at one point, and then in the 70's the Americans were like 'we're going metric' and Canada was all like, 'really? then we will too!' and so we started switching over to metric, but then the americans were like 'just jokes! lolz' and didn't switch, and Canada was like 'all our metric switching is already happened' and since then it's been a confusing mess. I learned my length and measurements in imperial, but the standard is metric, so whenever I go anywhere and they ask my height, I know it in inches, and they want it in centimetres.

Frickin 'Mericans.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*