News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

BLMS... dislike the name, like the guy

Started by jkokura, March 12, 2014, 07:37:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

Quote from: DutchMF on March 21, 2014, 05:47:51 PM
I'll keep the derailment going...... The kJ/kg and water consumption are familiar, what kind of work do you do? I'm an HVAC engineer, and use those a lot in calculations.

Water consumption in tonnes? That's so weird to me. Why not kiloliters? Or kilolitre (however you spell it)?

Anyway, my company designs and operates energy-from-waste (EfW) power plants. Kj/kg (or rather BTU/pound) is how we measure the energy potential of garbage.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

peAk

Quote from: jkokura on March 21, 2014, 05:51:42 PM
so whenever I go anywhere and they ask my height, I know it in inches, and they want it in centimetres.

Frickin 'Mericans.

Jacob

Come to America, inches and feet are all we know!  ;)

culturejam

Quote from: peAk on March 21, 2014, 06:17:48 PM
Come to America, inches and feet are all we know!  ;)

And barely that!  ;D

alanp

A litre of water is 1kg. One CC of water is one gramme.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

muddyfox

Man! Remember how you guys made me order something from Lawrence back on page 5 or 6? Well the stuff arrived today! I wasn't expecting it for at least a week longer...

jimilee

Quote from: muddyfox on March 21, 2014, 08:13:09 PM

Man! Remember how you guys made me order something from Lawrence back on page 5 or 6? Well the stuff arrived today! I wasn't expecting it for at least a week longer...
3 day express every time. I load up on stuff and take full advantage of it.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

muddyfox

Quote from: jimilee on March 21, 2014, 08:14:28 PM

Yeah but you guys are on the same side of the pond. I'm halfway around the world.

jimilee

Quote from: muddyfox on March 21, 2014, 08:15:33 PM
Quote from: jimilee on March 21, 2014, 08:14:28 PM

Yeah but you guys are on the same side of the pond. I'm halfway around the world.

Merely details...
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

culturejam

Quote from: alanp on March 21, 2014, 07:37:01 PM
A litre of water is 1kg. One CC of water is one gramme.

Ah, so a tonne of water is the same as a kiloliter of water. Got it.

DutchMF

Quote from: culturejam on March 21, 2014, 06:14:00 PM
Quote from: DutchMF on March 21, 2014, 05:47:51 PM
I'll keep the derailment going...... The kJ/kg and water consumption are familiar, what kind of work do you do? I'm an HVAC engineer, and use those a lot in calculations.

Water consumption in tonnes? That's so weird to me. Why not kiloliters? Or kilolitre (however you spell it)?

Anyway, my company designs and operates energy-from-waste (EfW) power plants. Kj/kg (or rather BTU/pound) is how we measure the energy potential of garbage.  ;D

Well, I didn't mean the 'tonnes' stuff, that's just weird! but the whole water consumption/content is familiar. We use the kJ/kg to calculate the amount of heating/cooling that can be transferred by a certain amount of air/water/whatever. What might be of interest to you is that the project I've been working on the last year and a half was a 50 MW bio energy plant. Not the actual energy producing part, but a lot of auxiliary processes. Back to the original derailment!

@alanp: a metric tonne of water is indeed a kiloliter, aka a cubic meter, 1000 liters or 109 cc's

units are a wonderfull thing......  ;D

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

rullywowr

I wish we used the Metric system here in 'Murica. It's especially ironic that both measurements are used in PCB layouts. .100" and 2.54mm.   Since it's only 2 dec places, extrapolating multiples of this number always ends slightly off.  I started by using mm doing layouts, now I use inches. If I have to make a footprint for a new part it's usually in mm. What a bunch of crap!  A system based on 10 is so much easier.

Oh and I just got a box from mouser with a sack of Neutrik 1/4" jacks and the nuts and washers were in separate bags...  No big deal to me. You got to take them off anyways to install them.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

GrindCustoms

Quote from: rullywowr on March 21, 2014, 09:37:09 PM
I wish we used the Metric system here in 'Murica. It's especially ironic that both measurements are used in PCB layouts. .100" and 2.54mm.   Since it's only 2 dec places, extrapolating multiples of this number always ends slightly off.  I started by using mm doing layouts, now I use inches. If I have to make a footprint for a new part it's usually in mm. What a bunch of crap!  A system based on 10 is so much easier.

Oh and I just got a box from mouser with a sack of Neutrik 1/4" jacks and the nuts and washers were in separate bags...  No big deal to me. You got to take them off anyways to install them.

I think it depends of the domain of work or application that you're in... to use either one of the two systems...

For precision stuff or that is in a small scale, metric wins it all the way, for me.

But for construction in general, domestic or industrial. For metal working too, structure and welding jobs... SAE is king.
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

GrindCustoms

I also put one in at that moment... and another one yesterday..

Got the one with knobs (all assembled) today..with the stickers! :)

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

haveyouseenhim

I'll just leave this here......    ;D

www.slobslovemyknobs.com
I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms

GrindCustoms

Quote from: haveyouseenhim on March 22, 2014, 01:14:01 AM
I'll just leave this here......    ;D

www.slobslovemyknobs.com

HAHAHAHA! That's totally badass! :o