News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

DAW users!?!?!

Started by peAk, March 11, 2014, 02:43:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peAk

just curious if you had a DAW and if so, what are you using?

I'll start...

Although Macs are great, I am a PC guy through and through and enjoy building them so obviously that is my DAW choice. Been a Cubase user for about 12 years now and have dabbled in Ableton.

What about you?

rullywowr

Reaper.  Grew up on Cubase, but was tired of the dongles and over clunky UI.  Reaper is great, small footprint (a few MB), does everything I need it to do...and has great support.  Runs all your favorite VST plug ins.  After using the trial version for a while, I paid for the full version and couldn't be happier.  Made by the guy who invented "WinAmp"...(remember that one?)

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

midwayfair

I'm using Logic ... for $200 I thought it was a great deal. Reaper was also very good but a little more bare bones and seemed to run a little slower.

Leevibe

Mostly Garageband, some Logic Express

raulduke

Ableton Live.

Been using it for years and I love it.

selfdestroyer

Logic user here also. I came from ProTools when my audio computer was a PC but since I went to a MacBook I moved to Logic. I found it to be very intuitive and easy to jump in to.

Cody

madbean

Reaper/Fruity Loops/TC Electronic Konneckt8/Tascam monitors. I'm actually waiting on delivery of some new floor stands for the monitors with some foam iso pads. I'm thinking of building a couple sound diffusers for my room, too.

jkokura

Studio One Pro.

Also, there's a HUGE sale from Presonus on Studio One Pro right now. You can get a wicked good recording setup from them for pretty cheap.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

muddyfox

Tc konnekt6 into no-frills reaper. Works great.

sent from my mobile device

selfdestroyer

Quote from: jkokura on March 11, 2014, 03:49:01 PM
Studio One Pro.

Also, there's a HUGE sale from Presonus on Studio One Pro right now. You can get a wicked good recording setup from them for pretty cheap.

Jacob

My father just took advantage of their 50% off sale this month. Hes a fan of Studio One Pro also.

Cody

peAk

Quote from: rullywowr on March 11, 2014, 02:45:36 PM
Reaper.  Grew up on Cubase, but was tired of the dongles and over clunky UI.  Reaper is great, small footprint (a few MB), does everything I need it to do...and has great support.  Runs all your favorite VST plug ins.  After using the trial version for a while, I paid for the full version and couldn't be happier.  Made by the guy who invented "WinAmp"...(remember that one?)

Have somewhat followed the progression of Reaper and man it has come along way.....and at that price, it's a no brainer.

The Cubase dongle doesn't bother me because I run it on a desktop and pretty much just put it in and forget about it. If I switched computers a lot, or used a laptop, I don't think I could handle the dongle.

Although I have tried other software, I still always find Cubase works the best for me. I also think it's midi functions are superior to the competition and most other software are trying to play catch-up to Cubase's midi. Which only makes sense since Cubase has been midi long before the others.

That being said, Ableton is it's own beast and really is inspiring to work with if you have only used linear based DAW software. I am also interested in checking out Bitwig and seeing the differences with it and Live.

raulduke

Ableton Live can also do the linear arrangement style of working just as well as any other DAW can.

You don't have to use it in performance view at all if you don't want to.

It is so flexible, and covers so many bases that it is more of a modular studio environment, than DAW, if that makes sense.

raven174us

I've been using Cool Edit and Adobe Audition since the mid 90's. I can't bring myself to update to anything newer. But I guess I've always kind of been stuck in the 90's lol.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Jason

peAk

Quote from: raven174us on March 11, 2014, 05:48:26 PM
I've been using Cool Edit and Adobe Audition since the mid 90's. I can't bring myself to update to anything newer. But I guess I've always kind of been stuck in the 90's lol.

Cool Edit Pro rules!

I still think they had/have the best wave editor. I prefer it over Wavelab and Soundforge anyday!

raven174us

Adobe bought out Cool Edit so if you like CE you would love Audition. It's a lot like it but with more features.

Jason