Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Embarrassed to ask....

Started by zilla, March 11, 2014, 12:32:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zilla

I got a bunch of these enclosed stereo switches from blms:

http://www.bitcheslovemyswitches.com/#!/~/product/category=5027593&id=25664011

Problem is, when I think I've wired the tip and sleeve correctly I get no sound. I can see that the tip and ring contacts are switched so when there is nothing plugged  in they are open, but I probed them with a cable plugged  in and figured out which contacts I think are the tip and sleeve, but I just get a super loud buzz when I wire it up, which makes me think that something isn't grounded.

I am going by this schematic . Ground is pin 1. Should the tip be pin 2 or 4? Same with the ring pin 3 or 5?

Thanks

Tim

RobA

The way I read the schematic, tip is 2 and ring is 3. I have a couple of those double switched stereo jacks and I avoid using them because there are too may connection points. I always end up using my dmm on continuity mode with a TRS cable plugged in to figure out which lug I need to solder to.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

alanp

I bought a bag of those once.

Take a small patch cable, plug one end into a (unsoldered) jack. Spend time with the multimeter on continuity setting, and find out what solder lugs go to tip and sleeve, with the cable plugged in.

Cut off all the other damn tabs.

Put the improved jack to one side, to use as a model next time you go funny in the head and order these. (I prefer Cliff or Neutrik jacks. Or those weeny 1590A ones.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

zilla

Great idea. I'll lop off those other offending tabs just as soon as I get it working ;)

Clayford

They are switched stereo jacks and quite useful. But a pain if you're not familiar with them. As stated, do some work with a patch cable and your DMM and you'll be sorted in no time.
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

playpunk

I use my dmm every time I wire a pedal up with these. No mistakes that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"my legend grows" - playpunk

blearyeyes

Tip 2
Ring 3
Sleeve 1

2 and 4 are the switched outputs. You would wire those to where you want them to go when nothing is plugged in. Might have to get some of these so I can get more confused than I already am....