News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Layouts for giant pedals

Started by RobA, March 08, 2014, 06:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobA

Are there any layout templates around for pedals with lots of pots/switches? I've got some templates for two, three, up to around six knobs or switches, but I haven't seen anything with guides for bigger control layouts. I'm starting to layout an effect with seven knobs and three toggle switches and I'd like to board mount them. I think I can do a layout for a 1590BB with two rows of 5 using 9mm pots, but that's getting a bit tight.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

davent

7 pots, one a dual 24mm, 5 switches, top mount jacks, fx loop, pcb and battery in a 1590bb.

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

alanp

That is a busy little box!

For 1550G, I use a template I got from Jim (Electricstorm), with the PCB mask taped on it to get an idea of pot locations (measuring from their pads.)

For other sizes (like the 1790ns Rissole), I tape the board layout on the enclosure, then use masking tape and rough testfitting to mark drill locations. It's for one-offs, not for production-lines.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

juansolo

I've got an untested layout for a 1550G, this one below is a work in progress for a 1590DD:

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

RobA

Yikes! I won't feel so bad about my tiny little ten control board anymore.

Mine's only got one footswitch too, so I think I'd like to have the 1590BB in portrait orientation. I can do it with two rows if I stick with the 9mm. I think I'll do that for now. If I put all the controls near each other at the top edge of the board, then it shouldn't be too hard to use off board wiring to put it in a bigger enclosure.

It would be nice to have a general guide/resource for layouts if there is one out there. The examples are great though and I'd love to see more.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

RobA

Quote from: juansolo on March 08, 2014, 08:04:08 PM
Mine are in PSD, I'll refresh them again, but they're here:  http://juansolo.demon.co.uk/stompage/pstemplates/

Thanks very much for making those available.

Jabulani Jonny

Jonathan