News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mods for The CryBaby GCB95

Started by Gledison, March 08, 2014, 01:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gledison

Hey Guys,
ive just got a crybaby classic and remember to read some stuff about some mods that we can do with it. i also saw a video where someone showed the sound with the input buffer versus the true bypass, what one can hear clearly the difference (mainly trebble range).
I know some of you guys probably already did some mods (led as well) and would be great if you could point me some directions.
Actually im doing this more for learning purposes (open the damn thing and full around with it) .
Thanks in advance
Gledison
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

jimilee

What I did was pull out the guts and put a wiener wah in one and a mowah in another one. That helped. The other thing is to change the inductor
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

pryde

Most popular simple mods are to remove the buffer, convert to true bypass, and add an LED. Easy to do but make sure you use a good quality 3PDT switch as the cheapy blue ones never seam to last in there

http://stinkfoot.se/archives/546

Leevibe

Definitely read RG Keen's technology of the wah pedal.

http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/wahpedl/wahped.htm

Replacing the resistor that's in parallel with the inductor with a pot gives you a useful Q control.

You can change the sweep (more towards treble or more towards bass) by switching the cap that's connected to the emitter of Q2. I usually start by skipping a tooth or two on the gear rack first though. There should be room at both ends of the pot rotation. Just make sure not to take it all the way to the end of its travel or you can snap the pot shaft.

My favorite is to lower the value of the biasing resistor that goes between emitter and ground on Q1. I can't tell you what value because I like to put it on a pot. This adds richness and saturation.

Of course you can change the inductor too, but I would do the cheap easy stuff first. Inductor swaps can be pretty subtle compared to some of the other mods.

RG lists a bunch of mods in his article.

Gledison

Quote from: Leevibe on March 08, 2014, 03:30:00 PM
Definitely read RG Keen's technology of the wah pedal.

http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/wahpedl/wahped.htm

Replacing the resistor that's in parallel with the inductor with a pot gives you a useful Q control.

You can change the sweep (more towards treble or more towards bass) by switching the cap that's connected to the emitter of Q2. I usually start by skipping a tooth or two on the gear rack first though. There should be room at both ends of the pot rotation. Just make sure not to take it all the way to the end of its travel or you can snap the pot shaft.

My favorite is to lower the value of the biasing resistor that goes between emitter and ground on Q1. I can't tell you what value because I like to put it on a pot. This adds richness and saturation.

Of course you can change the inductor too, but I would do the cheap easy stuff first. Inductor swaps can be pretty subtle compared to some of the other mods.

RG lists a bunch of mods in his article.
Thanks guys! Will read the article to inform myself better!
Cheers

Gledison

Quote from: jimilee on March 08, 2014, 02:43:11 PM
What I did was pull out the guts and put a wiener wah in one and a mowah in another one. That helped. The other thing is to change the inductor
Hey Mestre!
I think i got lucky and Dunlop is producing the GCB95 with the red Fasel alredy in!

jimilee

Or it's already been modded? Is it new?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Leevibe

It wouldn't surprise me if that's stock since Dunlop owns the Fasel name. I put a yellow new stock fasel in a wah and I like it. I think the yellow is supposed to be vintage and red is modern. Not sure though.

ddog

A heads up if you are thinking of putting a 3PDT switch. If you use the full range of your wah, your 3PDT will make a clicking noise. The pedal won't turn off and the clicking noise won't go through your amp, but it will still be there. It's just due to the inherent nature of the 3PDT. I ended up not using the full range of my wah to prevent the clicking

pryde

Hey Gledison,
Read through this post I started a while back regarding switch options for the CB. So far I have had good luck with Alpha 3PDT switches but the relay board/DPDT switch probably would be the optimal solution as the switch quality is just better

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=12492.msg113197#msg113197

Gledison

Thanks Pride for the link! I will check it out!
@ddog: the click u mentioned is while engaging the pedal or when stomping for full range? Wkith my les paul at bridge pickup im getting a very fat sound! With distortion sounds great at the middle point of the wah!

atreidesheir

crybaby classic has the fasel as stock inductor.  They sound pretty good stock to me. 
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

ddog

Quote from: Gledison on March 08, 2014, 05:52:54 PM
Thanks Pride for the link! I will check it out!
@ddog: the click u mentioned is while engaging the pedal or when stomping for full range? Wkith my les paul at bridge pickup im getting a very fat sound! With distortion sounds great at the middle point of the wah!

While stomping full range. Its not exactly a click, more like a clacking sound. Try taking an unsoldered 3PDT switch and mash on the button, but not fully so without actually turning it on. It will make a clacking noise. A bit annoying, but I slowed down my wah playing and my range so its not that bad