News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

3PDT Wiring Boards

Started by peAk, March 08, 2014, 01:53:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billstein

Just a guess. It looks like the rate LED is not connected. I'm not sure on this circuit but there are some where that connection has to be made for it to work. Perhaps you've already tried that but just in case.

peAk

Quote from: billstein on March 09, 2014, 02:30:25 AM
Just a guess. It looks like the rate LED is not connected. I'm not sure on this circuit but there are some where that connection has to be made for it to work. Perhaps you've already tried that but just in case.

No, you are correct, both LEDs are disconnected. I was connecting them with alligator clips when testing. I removed the LEDs before the pictures were taken.

peAk

Quote from: Stomptown on March 09, 2014, 02:19:15 AM
Everything looks good to me. No obvious smoking gun or anything. Before you rip the 3pdt out make sure to double check transistor/electrolytic capacitor/diode orientations and look for cold solder joints. Also double check the wiring to the 3pdt toggle switch. It is possible that you have a solder bridge on the foot switch if you used a lot of solder. Regardless, don't shy away from using daughter boards. I messed up the first one I used but have never had a problem since. Good luck!

Thanks for your check, I really appreciate it! I have used the GPBC daughter boards before and never had a problem. I am sure I made a mistake somewhere.

I will take another hard look at everything and see if I can see anything. The onboard Rate LED came on and stayed on but the bypass LED was the one that was really acting up and really heating up. Strange

Again, thanks for your help.

billstein

Quote from: peAk on March 09, 2014, 02:34:07 AM

No, you are correct, both LEDs are disconnected. I was connecting them with alligator clips when testing. I removed the LEDs before the pictures were taken.

Ahhh. That makes sense but sometimes (at least for me) it can be the obvious. Hope you get it worked out.

peAk

Quote from: billstein on March 09, 2014, 02:46:14 AM
Quote from: peAk on March 09, 2014, 02:34:07 AM

Ahhh. That makes sense but sometimes (at least for me) it can be the obvious. Hope you get it worked out.

no totally, and I appreciate you looking as well. A lot of times it IS the obvious but it takes those second set of eyes to see.

I need to build a test rig and if I can't get this working soon, I think this is the motivation I need to build one.

peAk

Okay guys, just to report, I wired it up the standard way - straight to the 3PDT - no daughter board, and it worked perfectly

Not sure what the problem was before but at this point I don't care and I am just happy I got it working.

On another note, wow....what a crazy effect! I seem to have dialed in the perfect "sample and hold" but the standard filter is a bit strange. I need to go and listen to some demos and see if this is about right.

Stomptown

That's good news! Enjoy your creation!!!

Leevibe

Hot LED followed by it burning out makes me suspect either CLR was somehow not in the LED circuit or that it's value was possibly too low??

peAk

Quote from: Leevibe on March 10, 2014, 01:27:59 AM
Hot LED followed by it burning out makes me suspect either CLR was somehow not in the LED circuit or that it's value was possibly too low??

yeah, not sure. I triple checked everything but couldn't figure out what was going on. As soon as I wired it without the 3DPT daughter board, I had no issues.

Leevibe

At least LED's are cheap. The first time I breadboarded a fuzz face I blew up a $20 pair of NPN germaniums because I not only hooked up the battery backwards but I put my reverse polarity protection diode backward. Then to kick me while I was down, I realized the issue and went to remove the diode, which burned a perfect impression of itself into my fingertips. Its shape was molded into my index finger guitar callous for like a week. I still haven't built a successful fuzz after years of building!!