News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Lowrider aka. how everything went wrong

Started by m-Kresol, March 07, 2014, 10:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m-Kresol

Ok, this is going to be part build report, but mostly a rant. Not ranting about the circuit in any way! Brian did a great job, but I didn't. This is the story of a build going seriously wrong...

It started with me and my mum misdrilling. Since I didn't intend to use PCB mounted pots, it didn't matter too much, but it bugged me. Then I used some transparent adhesive foil for the labelling, which didn't turn out as I wanted it to and also, because of prior misdrilling, it didn't align too well.

Populating the PCB went pretty well. It didn't fire up right away, because I accidentally switched two wires at a pot despite my colour coding. I wasn't content with the sound of the upper octave, or it wasn't as I expected - despite watching the demo. So i modded it with Brian's help and trial and error and found a configuration which I thought was ok.

During boxing, I realized that my ground and power wire where too short, so I replaced them and I also ripped the ground connection to one of the jacks. After replacing them and boxing, I didn't get any signal. I traced the problem to the power supply and somehow had a brain fart thinking (and measuring) that I fried the DC jack itself. So, I waited for my next projects and orders to arrive with a new DC jack. That took about 2.5 month. Nevertheless, when I started looking at the thing again last week, I at least managed to find a single teeny tiny wire braid shorting at the PCB power input and found the DC jack working fine of course. After fixing it, I already had destroyed about 5 pads on one side of the PCB by often soldering and desoldering parts during modding and fixing ripped wires. I improvised with some really bad solder joints and pieces of resistor legs to achieve a working pedal.

So I boxed it again. Did it work afterwards? Of course it didn't! I only realized the next day, because it was 2am already and I did neither have the nerve to endure another failure, nor could I torment my neighbour at that hour. Today, I took the whole thing apart and found that because I used short wires between the 3PDT and PCB I ripped out the input and ground from the PCB while boxing. After deciding not to harvest ICs and pots and throw the rest out of my window, I struggled to put new wires in.

Of course, it didn't work. Again! So, I reflowed the joints I just made and the power and ground pins and looked for errors with a magnifying glas. I didn't find anything, but I somehow solved the problem after another half hour of doing random things. It works fine now, but I still don't really like the sound of it. I guess, I just expected too much from the analog circuit.

I guess, it clearly showed me, what a rookie I still am and how much can go wrong in a build. But on the bright side, I learned a lot and I like the knobs :D
Enough ranting, here's some pics from my phone - the pedal didn't deserve better quality ;)

I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

m-Kresol

Hey Alan, what's the time in NZ at the moment? Like seven in the morning? On a saturday? And you're already up and checking the forum? That's what I call commitment! :D
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

alanp

At the time of typing, it's 1:19pm saturday :)

I tend to get up early anyway, it's a habit you pick up when you get up during the week at 5am for work (I go in at 6am for setup.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

billstein

Way to hang in until it worked. I'm a baby when it comes to trouble shooting. I need more of your tenacity.

jimilee

It's kind of like an accident scene really, you can't stop looking. I tend to keep after my builds till i fix them or destroy them, good on you for making it work.  It looks great fwiw.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

lincolnic

The fastest way I learn is by making mistakes. Now you've got all this new knowledge you can take to your next build!

I agree with Jimi, it still looks good.