News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

3 in one project, opinions welcomed.

Started by mattpoole, March 23, 2011, 04:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattpoole

i am working on a project where i plan on placing a neutrino (black ver.), egodriver, and cupcake in one enclosure. i know i want the cupcake first but i haven't  been able to decide what order for the ego and neutrino. i built the neutrino already and i like it as a light drive and will probably use the ego for heaver situations.

does anyone have both pedals, if so what order do you use them in?

also, does anyone see this as problematic?

i use a bbe "supa charger", and i only have the 100MA available, my delay and reverb have the 200MA spots. i don't think i will be drawing too many MA's, but i could be wrong.

thanks in advance

jkokura

You could use a 4PDT switch to be able to change the order of the two drives. Otherwise, it depends entirely on the guitarist, ax, amp, and music style/desired sound. I can tell you that I wouldnt use the two together, but that's just me. Sorry, that probably doesn't help.

Also, all three circuits will draw far less than 100ma. No problems there.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

mattpoole

thanks, that was good info. i figured all together they would draw around 50MA, tops. if i don't use them together i guess it won't matter what order. :)

i'll have to research 4pdt, i've never used one.

gtr2

You could have 3 footswitches, one for the compressor, one to toggle between the two drives, and a master on/off for the drives.  I wouldn't cascade those pedals together personally but whatever floats your boat.  ;D
I would think a comp/drive and boost would be more useful or another drive selection.  Something like the king of tone yellow channel is nice to run into a lot of drives.  These are only my opinions so take them for what you think their worth.  :)

josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

stecykmi

if you don't want to deal with a switching circuit, typically you'd want the overdrive into the distortion, so neutrino into the egodriver.

You're probably fine with 100ma for the power supply, that's quite a lot for analog pedals.

mattpoole

thanks for the input guys. i am noticing a consensus that these drives should not be used together.
i was planning on using separate switches for each effect. my concern is mostly effects order since i will be attaching from switch to switch and do not want to have to disassemble and rewire.

jkokura

It's not that they shouldn't, it's that I wouldn't. The two are very similar in nature really. They're different versions of a dual op amp with soft clipping the circuits values are different, but not so different that they don't cover the same ground. I bet if you used the same pots, diodes and opamps it would be very hard to tell the difference between them.

As for what order, the best thing for you to do is to build both. Use a temporary enclosure if you need to, and then see what each sounds like. Then put one in front of the other, play around with that for 15 minutes, then switch the order. It will sound different with your guitars, your amps, and your ears.

This isn't a knock on you at all, but one thing I've noticed because of sites like TGP and Harmony Central (both of which I'm at often), is people often ask questions like "what order..." or "how do you use..." often, but I don't understand why. The best approach is to try it for yourself and see what you hear for yourself. Asking other people is a little bit silly because one will say one thing, and another the opposite. Not many people have the exact same amp and guitars as you, and it will sound different even in different climates!

So, my point is, to you and other people, use your own ears and then come tell us what you found!

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

mattpoole

thanks. tone is definitely, at least to a certain extent, subjective. i hear people recommend things all the time think are awful, but context is very important on what tones are needed. that´s a good idea about the temporary enclosure. i'll try that. i already have the neutrino enclosed so i only need to do the ego. i would imagine the ego will be livelier since i used 100k pots for volume and gain on the neutrino. anyways i am just hoping to learn from others experience with these circuits.