News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Need help with PCB layout work

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, March 05, 2014, 04:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

I happen to have an Ibanez CS9 that I would like to fully ressurect. The problem is that someone CUT OUT the DC jack from the PCB and it is gone forever  :'(

I was thinking about cobbling it together to just run on battery power but, I dont work that way. Now, what I am thinking is that I would like to fully rebuild the PCB with the same layout, size, etc. as a drop in.

PROBLEM: I have no idea how to use any of the PCB layout programs!  :-X

Hoping some kind soul here that is familiar with these programs could do an etchable layout for me.

Any takers?  ;D I could provide pics of the trace and component sides of course...

Scruffie

If you scanned the PCB flat, you could redraw a red layer over the original traces in an image program (think even paint'd do) then delete the original image file, convert those traces to black and then resize it accordingly.

Should work i'd think without having to learn any layout programs.

Oh and of course draw back in the cut out part.
Works at Lectric-FX

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Scruffie on March 05, 2014, 04:29:05 PM
If you scanned the PCB flat, you could redraw a red layer over the original traces in an image program (think even paint'd do) then delete the original image file, convert those traces to black and then resize it accordingly.

I get what you are saying Scruffie however, I am not that savvy with imaging programs. I can barely get on here  :-[

muddyfox

Sounds like a good plan to me!

It'll work great if you are doing toner transfer but mind the orientation if you do photoresist method... ask me how I know...  ::)

jkokura

If you need more help, you can always send me a message.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

davent

Quote from: Scruffie on March 05, 2014, 04:29:05 PM

This is pretty much what i do with "locked" pdf layouts i want to alter and... Inkscape is terrific, free tool to use. Seemed pretty intuitive to get up and running as well.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

stevie1556

If you've got a verified schematic of the board, I don't mind attempting a layout for you.

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: stevie1556 on March 06, 2014, 12:17:12 AM
If you've got a verified schematic of the board, I don't mind attempting a layout for you.

Thanks for the offer stevie!!!!!

I have the schematic from the factory however, what I need is for the PCB to be an exact replica of the original. It has to fit inside the original Ibanez CS9 pedal casing. Lots of stand up resistors and tightly packed components.

If you think you would be up for it, let me know and I will provide links to the schematic as well as pics of both sides of the PCB and measurements.

Cheers!  ;D

stevie1556

Replied to your PM. I can't guarantee I'll be able to do it, but I'll give it a good try :)

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

aran.e666

If you want to re etch the board check out how chromesphere does it theres a vid on his channel it helped me alot!

Aran
Guitar is love, guitar is life.

Govmnt_Lacky

Hey Stevie...

Sent you several PMs. Have received no replies. Wondering if you ever got the files I sent. Or, if you even still want to attempt the layout.  :-\

Don't know if your PMs are full so if you could reply here I would appreciate it so I know if I should look elsewhere.

Thanks bro!

Govmnt_Lacky

OK... Well....

Unfortunately, I am still looking for some help with this. Was hoping to be building on this but... looks like 2 weeks were wasted. Can any one of you layout wizards help me out?

I can provide a factory schematic, good pics of the PCB, and any other info that might be helpful. I just don't have the time to learn a program and attempt layout duplication right now.  :-\

rullywowr

Hey Lackey,

I totally understand your wanting to get this back to original and your intentions.  I would have to say that this is a most complex layout and while not impossible to duplicate with any PCB cad program...it's going to be very tough to do exactly like the original.  Not to mention getting the layout correct, the effect working as it should, using the original chips (desoldering) without damage, and so on.

Reasons:
1)  The effect itself...is a chorus and therefore one of the more complicated analog circuits
2)  The standing resistors add additional complexity to the layout
3)  The trim pots used are the older vertical type...not readily found
4)  PCB mounted jacks add additional complexity...especially with getting the distances correct to the enclosure for proper mounting
5)  Transplanting those vintage ICs may be tough to do with the risk of damaging them
6)  Designing a PCB layout is tricky enough...doing an exact duplicate of an existing layout makes it VERY tricky.  Lots of measuring for every hole, every component...etc.

As previously suggested, it would be far easier and quicker to scan the bottom of the board and make a layout for etching.  It looks to be a single sided board.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: rullywowr on March 18, 2014, 10:55:10 PM
As previously suggested, it would be far easier and quicker to scan the bottom of the board and make a layout for etching.  It looks to be a single sided board.

I wouldn't mind trying this however... could you link me to the tutorial about it. I looked but I could not find it.

As for the complexity.... I have done FAR... FAR more complex builds than this. Also, I do not plan on "transplanting" all of the components. Probably just the transistors and stand-up trimmers. All the rest I can replace with equivalent parts.

Also, the jacks and pots are all off-board mounted. Only the DC jack is board mounted (and was cut away from the PCB which is why I want to re-do it)

Thanks!

midwayfair

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on March 19, 2014, 12:10:37 AM
Quote from: rullywowr on March 18, 2014, 10:55:10 PM

I wouldn't mind trying this however... could you link me to the tutorial about it. I looked but I could not find it.

As for the complexity.... I have done FAR... FAR more complex builds than this. Also, I do not plan on "transplanting" all of the components. Probably just the transistors and stand-up trimmers. All the rest I can replace with equivalent parts.

Also, the jacks and pots are all off-board mounted. Only the DC jack is board mounted (and was cut away from the PCB which is why I want to re-do it)

Thanks!

Go to a place with a high resolution scanner. Kinkos might have one. You need 600dpi or better.

Put the PCB copper side down onto the scanner.

Take the file home and put it in Photoshop, GIMP, or any other image editing program.

Convert to black and white.

The PCB should be a flat color. Select a bucket tool and dump white into it. Or, if the traces look particularly pale, dump black into it. Use the contrast and brightness to get the traces as close to a flat color as possible (you want the opposite of whatever you converted the PCB color to). Use a bucket tool on that now to fill it in as much as possible. The point is to get the traces the opposite color of the PCB material.

Now comes the time consuming part. There are going to be imperfect spots, places where the bucket tool didn't fill in. You have to go through with a pencil or paintbrush tool and smooth out all the traces.

Now you can etch the PCB. Just make the image whatever polarity it needs to be.

It will probably take about 3 hours.