News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

stripboard projects

Started by aran.e666, March 04, 2014, 10:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aran.e666

So I was thinking as I am an amateur guitar pedal builder, I decided to get some schematics for a distortion pedal that uses parts like ICs or more parts e.g the lovepedals black magic. Does anyone have any good ideas or stripboard layout schematics for some good but easy-ish distortion pedals and btw I play metal not pop music so just lets stick to distortion/fuzz for now :)  :P . The vero layout is on this page :http://revolutiondeux.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/lovepedal-black-magic-distortion.html?m=1

Guitar is love, guitar is life.

muddyfox

Check out Mark's board. I've built plenty of those...

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/

GermanCdn

Yes, Mark's site is good, but be careful with the transistor pinouts and follow the labelling, not the pictorial of the transistors, as they do not always match (i.e. socket your transistors and while you're at it, your IC's).
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

aran.e666

Thanks  :) time to make a shopping list   ;D

flanagan0718

Quote from: muddyfox on March 04, 2014, 11:24:59 PM

Check out Mark's board. I've built plenty of those...

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/

+1 for this. I've used a bunch of his layouts. I also frequent www.Sabrotone.com. I was looking at doing a fat sandwich clone sometime down the line.

muddyfox

The only "issue" I have with Harald Sabro's site is that he likes to use resistors standing up. Mark always has them lying flat. I've built a dozen of Harald's layouts as well but always found upright resistors a hassle to do neatly. YMMV.

flanagan0718

Quote from: muddyfox on March 05, 2014, 02:13:05 PM

The only "issue" I have with Harald Sabro's site is that he likes to use resistors standing up. Mark always has them lying flat. I've built a dozen of Harald's layouts as well but always found upright resistors a hassle to do neatly. YMMV.

Agreed. The stand ups are hard to do gracefully. I use my needle nose and bend them around the closed end, that way they look pretty. I've built a bunch of Mark's and Harold's builds. I can say Mark's Zombie chorus didn't work (3 boards cut) but Harold's worked first try. Both sites are great and Harold offers some things Mark doesn't and vice versa.

dondougie

Both are great sites and I have build lots of pedals with layouts from both of them. One other thing to keep in mind in addition to the standing/flat resistors are the cap spacings. Sabro always has 5mm spacing for film caps (sometimes 2,5, but you can bend them easily), which is really convenient if you have WIMAS or other box caps with short legs. With Mark's/Miro's layouts, I sometimes had to solder leads to the cap's legs because they weren't long enough for the layout.

muddyfox

That's right. Forgot about the caps...

GermanCdn

Just use greenies for vero projects, cheaper and easier to manipulate than film box, and keeps the investment low so that if the choice comes down to troubleshooting a vero build or building another with $0.70 worth of parts, the choice becomes clear......
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

flanagan0718

Quote from: GermanCdn on March 05, 2014, 02:46:37 PM
Just use greenies for vero projects, cheaper and easier to manipulate than film box, and keeps the investment low so that if the choice comes down to troubleshooting a vero build or building another with $0.70 worth of parts, the choice becomes clear......

Yup! I build 2. One for debugging (with greenies) that I keep, and a "final build" if i have a customer for it. Here is a picture of how I do upright resistors.

flanagan0718

Quick tip, save the leads you cut if you plan on doing a lot of vero/strip board projects. These work better than most wire and fit nicely under the IC sockets.

aran.e666

Thanks guys it works but it jusd dosent want to get out it sounds constipated tbh its just like a bad sound. I think its the caps on the in/out

aran.e666

Also my bazz fuss sounds like this too :(

juansolo

Mark (tagboard) and Harold (sabrotone) are my two main go to's for vero. About the best veroists out there. Though I'm lazy these days and just get Haberdasher to etch stuff instead ;)
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk