News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

I need a big kick in the butt....

Started by DutchMF, March 04, 2014, 08:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DutchMF

Because the last couple of weeks I can't get myself in a building mood! I've been really busy with work, loads of social obligations on the weekends, some repairs to various stuff around the house, auditioning drummers for the band.... If I have some time left, I'm more inclined to crash on the couch with a book and a beer than to get out all my tools etc. and solder for an hour or so. I've got a load of unfinished builds (including most of Project "I") and new stuff to start, but I can't get myself to do it!!! Any advice, or same experiences to share?

Thanks in advance,

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

Govmnt_Lacky

Step 1: Sit down and get ready to build...

The rest will work out naturally as the urges take over!  8)

jkokura

Yeah, I usually have to set myself a deadline, like getting a project done by X date, or starting at X time. Sometimes doing a good clean up of the work space will help, because a nice clean organized space is usually more efficient and pleasant to work in.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

spaceboss

Sometimes you actually need to relax with a beer in your hand on the couch. You'll come back to the solder station when you're ready.

billstein

I just went through one of those stages. Wanted to build but not bad enough to actually do anything about it. I think its like any hobby it ebbs and flows.

selfdestroyer

For me, when I listen to music (which is everyday) and I hear something inspiring I usually start the thought process of "I wonder how they got that sound" and I start digging around. Also reading thing like Tone Report or browsing YouTube for gear demos get me pumped to build.  The hard thing for me is after I build a circuit and test/play with it, is boxing it up and calling it done. As of right now I have more than 10 builds done and ready for boxes. I have had Rully's King Tut on my test rig for 2 weeks now and have just been playing with it. I REALLY need to get motivated to box stuff up.

I have also found that my workbench is setup with a computer and speakers so I can watch Netflix or listen to music at my bench. Sometimes to turn your focus on something else for a few minutes helps. I make less mistakes now that I can relax some at my bench.

Cody

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: jkokura on March 04, 2014, 08:33:56 PM
Sometimes doing a good clean up of the work space will help, because a nice clean organized space is usually more efficient and pleasant to work in.

+1000     I have found it helps a lot to clean my desk off. Seeing that clear spot makes me want to build something on it.
I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms

Leevibe

Quote from: haveyouseenhim on March 04, 2014, 09:15:36 PM
Quote from: jkokura on March 04, 2014, 08:33:56 PM
Sometimes doing a good clean up of the work space will help, because a nice clean organized space is usually more efficient and pleasant to work in.

+1000     I have found it helps a lot to clean my desk off. Seeing that clear spot makes me want to build something on it.

yep

muddyfox

I also go through serious ups and downs... downs are mostly brought on by significant additions to the Box Of Fail. Right now I'm on a three-failure streak and it really makes me want to throw in the towel. So I probably won't build for a month or so and focus on the family (tiny ones can really drain all the energy out of you) till I feel the need for some solder smoke again. I don't particularly mind taking these hiatuses (hiatii?) because I know I'll be back sooner or later.  ::)

The comeback is usually triggered by a Tayda coupon anouncement. Yes, I'll be looking at you, Jimi!  ;D

GrindCustoms

I'm currently in one of those period.. it makes 2 weeks now that i have'nt boxed anything. I previously started a major amp project.. and now that i've done all that i could in it until i get the Irons to finish it.... well nothing is really grabbing me by the guts at the moment to get me building stuff... i've populated couple projects and that's about it...
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

Bret608

I took a long break over the holidays and a really busy deadline season at work. I think it would've been hard to enjoy any DIY stuff if I was trying to force it into an overloaded schedule. So sometimes it's good to take a break!  :)

culturejam

Quote from: spaceboss on March 04, 2014, 08:41:51 PM
Sometimes you actually need to relax with a beer in your hand on the couch. You'll come back to the solder station when you're ready.

This is my advice as well. You cannot force the magic. Let the muse come when she will.  ;)
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

billstein

Plus the down time in building is a time we could actually play guitar!

micromegas

spring fatigue (asthenia) showing up in early March...
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

jimilee

Quote from: muddyfox on March 04, 2014, 09:34:50 PM

The comeback is usually triggered by a Tayda coupon anouncement. Yes, I'll be looking at you, Jimi!  ;D
No pressure!!!  :P
I listen to music and makes me want the same tones, like right now I'm listening to Pink Floyd and David Gilmour and Stevie Ray and John Mayer, and I want cool strat tones, so I'm looking at building some muffs and another screamer. I spend half my time building and half playing AND I built another pedal board, so theres that too.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.