News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sourcing short lever PCB pin toggles

Started by Leevibe, March 04, 2014, 07:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davent

How confident are you at cutting rectangular holes for slider switches? Can be board mounted if desired and really no worries regarding accidental breakage or actuation.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

aion

Quote from: playpunk on March 04, 2014, 08:46:22 PM
I got some BLMS toggles, and they have not been good to me.

Failures, or coming apart while soldering, or anything related to reliability? I just made a pretty big order from BLMS (for this) so I want to make sure they aren't going to come apart on me.

Leevibe

Quote from: davent on March 04, 2014, 08:58:29 PM
How confident are you at cutting rectangular holes for slider switches? Can be board mounted if desired and really no worries regarding accidental breakage or actuation.
dave

One of the issues is that it's a pedal that I already produce, so I don't really want to reconfigure the graphics etc. I do think slide switches are cool though, and I've thought about ways to use them, especially versions with multiple throws. It could be a great rotary switch alternative.

I'm really leaning toward tweaking the board layout slightly so I can accommodate the solder lug switches. I think that is the path of least resistance.

I feel I need to give props to Stomptown for creating the board layout for me and getting me out of etching and into the world of OSH Park. He is also responsible for introducing me to this community and getting me connected to jkokura's excellent Eagle tutorials. So, thanks Jacob too!! I've been wanting to get boards fabbed and get into double sided layouts for a long time but couldn't figure out how to get there.

chromesphere

ah ha!  There was one of these on the back of my strymon big sky for the cab sim switch, I point it out in the next video I'm going to upload and it has a really nice switching action.  It must be a short lever.  Never seen these before.
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

Leevibe

Paul, that was your 999th post! Drum roll please!!

playpunk

Quote from: aion on March 04, 2014, 09:02:48 PM
Quote from: playpunk on March 04, 2014, 08:46:22 PM
I got some BLMS toggles, and they have not been good to me.

Failures, or coming apart while soldering, or anything related to reliability? I just made a pretty big order from BLMS (for this) so I want to make sure they aren't going to come apart on me.

The dpdt switch legs are wonky. The legs weren't square, and didn't take solder easily. The others are ok but not as nice as the mountain switches from mouser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"my legend grows" - playpunk

Leevibe

Quote from: chromesphere on March 05, 2014, 01:55:11 AM
ah ha!  There was one of these on the back of my strymon big sky for the cab sim switch, I point it out in the next video I'm going to upload and it has a really nice switching action.  It must be a short lever.  Never seen these before.

Wow. That big sky sounds nice. Matches the bad cat verb really well.

chromesphere

Quote from: Leevibe on March 05, 2014, 01:57:26 AM

Um....ok....I feel the pressure to say something incredibly smart and meaningful for my 1000th post....here goes...

I once pushed a dog around by the hind legs like a wheelborrow  :o

Leevibe

Quote from: chromesphere on March 05, 2014, 02:03:46 AM

Um....ok....I feel the pressure to say something incredibly smart and meaningful for my 1000th post....here goes...

BA-dum-bum!

chromesphere

Quote from: Leevibe on March 05, 2014, 02:02:52 AM
Quote from: chromesphere on March 05, 2014, 01:55:11 AM

Wow. That big sky sounds nice. Matches the bad cat verb really well.

Its an expensive pedal but I feel like the price reflects the sound quality and sheer amount of options the pedal brings to the table, the range is pretty insane. 

I have a few more videos on it, opening it up and general build quality review and building a tap tempo switch for it as well.

/end_hijack

billstein

Quote from: chromesphere on March 05, 2014, 02:03:46 AM

Nice one Paul. You owned that 1000th post. :)