News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

I hate stripboard (until I can get my pedal to work.....)

Started by aran.e666, March 03, 2014, 10:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aran.e666

Ok so anyone reading this please help. So I must of made these posts like 3 times now and ive started this one as the others are dead lol. So... I have ordered all the right parts for the bazz fuss pedal, the voltages and current flow is all good, I made the original circuit and then expanded it to double the size to give me more room to fault diagnose it and still everything seems good, ive made sure the orientation of the parts are right and the parts are in the right places and also checked for bad solder/solder joints and thats about it and I tested it with a rig that WORKS. So I put time into this post so please guys, leave your ideas and trust me its a 5 component circuit.......
Guitar is love, guitar is life.

aran.e666

Cortexturizer

wait wait, your testing rig works? is that what you're saying? if so, when you attach your probes to the stripboard, you say you have all the right voltages? it doesn't matter, start audio probing the circuit following the signal and looking at the schematics, something will jump out at ya and sound/look odd believe me. Also, if it was a session that lasted a couple of hours, step away from the build, do something else, and come back to it tomorrow. It happnes often, even to the most experienced of us, that you just can't see a fault that's screaming to your face, when you're overworked and tired
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

raven174us

Jason

aran.e666

Yh I get it but I know everything is good (component wise) but do you have any tips that I can use fortesting Iit with myDMM?

Thanks

Also I just got a new post and wow just wow... well in the morning il have to sort out the electrolytic but im all out of 4.7uf caps so will a 2.2uf work?

Again, thanks

GermanCdn

It looks like you have some solder bridges as well, on tracks 3 and 5 both tying into track 4, which will give you problems.  Clean up all of your solder joints.

You can use two 2.2 uF in parallel to get roughly 4.4 uF.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

aran.e666

Ok I just looked and it actually isnt a bridge because of the angle of the picture, with the pointed solder,  it does look worse than it is and in future I should use a socket like the ones for transistors

Thanks guys again

P.s today I made an a/b/y box for my guitar teacher who has a degree in electronics and I got paid! ;D but when I make the most simple build, it sits there laughing at me and its lucky that I didnt burn it   ???

raven174us

It's always the smallest things that cause the most problems. Keep us updated!
Jason

aran.e666

:D Thanks people if I need help with anything else in the future ( or in a day or two...) il let you guys know  :D

billstein

A solder bridge on stripboard can be so small it's hard to see. Take a knife and run it down each track to make sure there is a separation between them. You can also take your DMM and check for continuity between the tracks.

midwayfair

Quote from: aran.e666 on March 03, 2014, 10:31:01 PMSo I must of made these posts like 3 times now and ive started this one as the others are dead lol.

I hope this doesn't sound rude, but among other things, we asked for voltages in the other thread, and you never provided them. The pictures are a good start, but pictures don't tell us much except for things like your polarized cap is backward or if you have a wrong component (at best we can guess about solder bridges, but we can't measure them).

We also linked to the tech help "rules" thread, which provides a large amount of information on how to provide us with necessary details -- including measuring voltages and using an audio probe -- so that we can help.

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=902.0

(Even if we forgot to link to this thread, it's a sticky at the top of this forum, and on any forum you visit it's a good idea to read things that are stickies.)

The debugging process is the same for everyone at all ability levels -- it doesn't change, and it's the same steps any of us would take if we had your circuit in hand. Since we don't have your circuit in hand, you have to take the measurements for us.

aran.e666

Oh sorry I didnt read the other forum when you asked for the voltages sorry but I have school now soIil sort that out later :)