News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Fuzz- I kinda don't get it. Your input appreciated.

Started by Jabulani Jonny, March 03, 2014, 08:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peAk

I guess I am in the minority here in this thread so far, and I know it's played out, but I really like the Muff sound and I love my Mudbunny I just built.

Bret608

I love the Cosmo I built because it gets into fuzz territory, but still lets me be the primarily rhythm player that I am.

I built a hybrid silicon/germanium Fuzz Face recently. I bumped up the in and out caps for more bass (per JakeFuzz's advice). Long story short, it lets me get wooly/muffy sounds at full tilt, but it has the touch sensitivity and volume knob cleanup too.

The more strident/weird fuzzes like the Standard Fuzz I enjoy because they force me to play differently than I normally would. I'm with Pryde on not loving the gated/splattery stuff too much, though.

timbo_93631

I like the fuzz.  My favorites are Superfuzz, Tonebender MKII's and MKIII's, the Blackout Effectors Musket clone I just built, and the fat fuzz factory clone I did a few months back.  I think it is worth exploring the nuttiest side of fuzz (superfuzz, fuzz factory, Fuzzrite) before making any declarations.  The more overdrivey fuzzes are probably the most useful in the real world, that is why the tonebenders are in my list,   but the whacko stuff inspires me to play differently/new.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

selfdestroyer

The Big Muff was my first pedal back in the early 90's and its a pedal that has stuck with me over the years. I agree with it cutting/standing out in a live performance but thats what Boss EQ pedals were for back in the day. Today I a simply in love with fuzz. I love the classics (face's, Muffs, Benders) to newer or classic verrients (Devi's, Death By Audio, Black Arts) they all have a place in my heart. Some are just for bedroom playing and others are my "never leave my board" type pedals. Most people that are not into fuzz love my Pharaoh or a good ol Tonebender MKII. They are very versatile and can be over the top if needed. 

lars

My favorite fuzz box is the EHX Micro Synth (big enclosure). Talk about a pedal with an array of different sounds and textures. I like that you can blend your clean signal with the square wave, as well as add high AND low octaves. Its like getting several fuzz pedals in one, very versatile. When it's set right, the "synth" section can be used like an EQ to add presence and attack without going into the whooshy spaceship sounds most people have heard in the youtube demos. And unlike the Big Muff, it can cut through the mix very well.

jubal81

Something that struck me after I started building effects is that, well, I have no idea how some effects are supposed to be used - still don't.

Might be cool to have a subforum for tips, tricks, tutorials and song suggestions for getting the most out of different effects.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

blearyeyes

I never used any distortion pedals. All through the 60s and 70s it was about trying to blow up amps.  Eventually I had a gain stage with a switch put into my guitar that would push everything at +23db. Since building pedals I also started out as an overdrive guy and not really impressed with Fuzz circuits until I built a Buzz Around Clone. I love how crazy and quirky it is. It will melt your face with the right settings with hard core ripping crunchy goodness. Then on the other hand it will gurgle and splatter and produce flatulence. it is a seriously fun circuit to play with.  And it's not a Strat or a LP it's a 62 Jazzmaster with a 70s JB Seymour D and Strat single coils. Oh yea, and a strat....run!

peAk

Quote from: lars on March 03, 2014, 11:16:47 PM
My favorite fuzz box is the EHX Micro Synth (big enclosure). Talk about a pedal with an array of different sounds and textures. I like that you can blend your clean signal with the square wave, as well as add high AND low octaves. Its like getting several fuzz pedals in one, very versatile. When it's set right, the "synth" section can be used like an EQ to add presence and attack without going into the whooshy spaceship sounds most people have heard in the youtube demos. And unlike the Big Muff, it can cut through the mix very well.

I have always been interested in trying this pedal

blearyeyes

Quote from: jubal81 on March 03, 2014, 11:22:51 PM
Something that struck me after I started building effects is that, well, I have no idea how some effects are supposed to be used - still don't.

Might be cool to have a subforum for tips, tricks, tutorials and song suggestions for getting the most out of different effects.

+1 on that jubal81

jubal81

Oh yeah - the Muff. Love muff, but the sustain pot can go - no use whatsoever.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

billstein

I never thought the Muff was any big deal at all, then I stuck a RangeMaster (another pedal I didn't really care for) in front of it. The sound was huge! Lead Toanz for days.

Also, another vote for the Cosmopolitan. Extremely versatile.

AND I think a sub forum just for tips and tricks on how to use these pile of pedals is a great idea.

atreidesheir

I get the big muff because Gilmour made want to play.  Van Halen made me want to be a player.  Gilmour's voice made me want to do this.  That tone reminds me of that emotional and creative high I got so many years ago.  That aha moment.  It sounds like a big muff to me.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

GrindCustoms

3 years ago you would have asked me what i was thinking of fuzz and i would probably have answered that it's the most disgusting device earth had ever seen...

Strangely... the fuzz that got me into them and start to REALLY dig them is the «Random Number Generator»... it's not really musical.. does'nt  really sound good in any way... In Fact it just don't give a damn f*** of what you are playing! hahaha

But it made me understand that i could use fuzz as a texture effect not even for it's dirt ability.

Getting synth sounds, tight gated square stuff... all those noise that only those type of circuit can give, putting a FuzzFactory in front of an high gain amp to get a uber dirty harmonizer effect that sounds like Transformers having hardcore sex... it's AMAZING! ;D
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

gordo

I love the sound that other people around here get when they build fuzzes and gawd knows I've built my body weight in Fuzz Faces, Tonebenders, and Muffs and I STILL can't get it.  In fact when I get back to Saskatoon about every other year my old band does a few shows and the other guitar player plays a very old Muff thru a Traynor stack and gets an amazing sound.  I play his gear and it sounds like crap.  Must be sweat chemistry or body mass index or something.  Or maybe you just have to make "that" face when you solo.  I'm thinking about joining a Germanium Support Group...
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jimilee

Quote from: atreidesheir on March 04, 2014, 02:17:45 AM
I get the big muff because Gilmour made want to play.  Van Halen made me want to be a player.  Gilmour's voice made me want to do this.  That tone reminds me of that emotional and creative high I got so many years ago.  That aha moment.  It sounds like a big muff to me.
This. As a bassist i love the Green Russian when I play older 60's rock and metal. Other than that, meh... Lat night I started researching Gilmour, now I'm curious. I have several muff boards that I will be building to different specs just to taste the Kool Aide
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.