News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Footswitch help

Started by zilla, March 03, 2014, 02:55:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zilla

Hi all,

I've been working on a little project and I've hit a bit of a wall and need some help.

I built a small a/b box so I could share my gmajor 2 with two different amps' effects loops. I put an on-on dpdt toggle twitch on it so I can choose amp A or amp B gets the gmajor in its effects loop.  Everything here works fine.

What I would like to do now is to replace the toggle switch with a footswitch to make it easier to switch.

The "easy" way would be to run a 6-wire cable from the splitter box to a footswitch and wire a dpdt stomp switch.  The negative side is that the audio signal now has to run thru the entire length of the cable from box to footswitch 4 times.

Is there a way that I can leave the switching inside the box by using a relay that is triggered by a stomp switch? I've only used a simple on/off relay when I wired up a car stereo system many years ago. Do they make dpdt type relays? I have a few old wall warts kicking around that aren't suitable for effects pedals but would probably work well for this application.

Any help would be appreciated!

Tim

jkokura

Yes, I would recommend using  a relay based switching system if that's what you're looking to do, but here's a question for you - what are you already using to switch the patches on the G-Major? Is it a possibility you could potentially use a midi controlled Relay switcher in conjunction with your current system?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

zilla

I have an FCb1010 which has two relays in it. It uses trs cables for the switching, but it's original intent was to trigger channel switching in an amp.

Was thinking about this one:  http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/418/ENG_SS_108-98007_F[1]-205062.pdf

I was looking for a 3pdt relay to add some LEDs to indicate the channel, but those relays seem to be targeted towards heavy duty applications..

RobA

If you use something like the circuit from Geofex,

then you can run it with a momentary switch and get LED indicators. (You'd need to adapt it a bit to get two LED's.)

You use a double latching relay like one of these http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/283/ea2-1419.pdf and then you use much less current to run it. I've used the EA2-5TNJ switch in the circuit above and it works perfectly.

There is a missing connection on that schematic. The + sides of the relay coils needs a connection to +V.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

zilla

If i just want to use a simple latching stomp switch, i wouldn't need to have all that extra circuitry, right?

If i forgo the LEDs, I could just use a spdt or dpdt stomp switch to open/close the ground on the coil, right?

RobA

You could drive a non-latching relay with a normal latching SPDT foot switch. You could even run an LED with it if you used the latching SPDT to run a transistor as a switch to turn on and off the LED at the same time as the relay.

The two main points of using the circuit in the diagram are that it saves a lot of current (the switch current is only applied for an instant) and that you can use a much cheaper switch. The circuit isn't really very big or complex. It's just one CD4069 IC and a couple of 2n3904 transistors. All of the caps can be cheap, small MLCC types.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

aran.e666

Try this. This is simple wiring but for your circuit, add the wires to the circuit too. Im just guessing this is what you want if not notify me and im sure I can find a schematic :)
Guitar is love, guitar is life.

aran.e666

Also I know that that is not what your trying to make but for the switch it could possibly work by using simple circuits like dpdt footswitch wiring. if you are trying to switch between the two channels, that is
Guitar is love, guitar is life.

zilla

aran.e666

i already have this set up and working.

I have it mounted in my rack, so a stomp switch isn't ideal, and i don't want to run the audio signal through unnecessary lengths of cable, which is why i am trying to get a relay switch set up inside the rack with a remote footswitch.