Main Menu

I am so over.... Stranded Wire

Started by playpunk, March 02, 2014, 09:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timbo_93631

Quote from: lincolnic on March 03, 2014, 05:45:43 AM
Quote from: timbo_93631 on March 03, 2014, 04:47:15 AM
I usually use SB's #22 Pre-Bond

I was using only the #24 until my last order, when I ordered the #22 because #24 was out of stock. The #22 seemed to be lower quality to me - the bonding seemed to come apart when I'd bend the stripped wire (say to crimp it to a pot or switch lug), whereas on the #24 I could bend it and it'd stay together. Did anyone else run into this, or did I maybe just get a bad batch?

Yeah, I think the bonding on the #22 is "drier" so to speak, but my auto strippers struggle with #24 and I like the chubby look of the #22.  When I route my wires I use two chopsticks to sort of smooth the runs straight.  Old habit from amp building.  I should say that the #22 from SB is my second choice, but it is readily available.  My #1 choice is #22 "topcoat" appliance wire but it isn't always easy to find in smaller quantities.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

playpunk

I got my teflon wire from Sierra Nevada Products on Ebay. It is "silver plated copper wire" 22awg.

"my legend grows" - playpunk

juansolo

Quote from: Leevibe on March 03, 2014, 03:39:12 PM
Quote from: juansolo on March 03, 2014, 03:25:46 PM
24AWG pre-bonded ribbon is the holy grail if you can find it.

If anyone ever finds this, I would totally want some. 6 conductor would be the cat's whiskers.

I'd happily buy a reel or two of it. But I've looked everywhere. I had the part number and everything. But I suspect you'd have to be a manufacturer/supplier to buy it and I suspect 2 or 3 100m reels might not be enough. Indeed if it comes on reels that small...
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

pickdropper

Whenever I've sourced wire, it was a 4k meter minimum.  A bit much for a DIYer to chew off but not too bad for a component supplier.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Leevibe

Man, with all the 3pdt daughter boards being sold these days you would think that someone could complement those sales with pre-bonded ribbon. That would be peanut butter and jelly.

lincolnic

Quote from: timbo_93631 on March 03, 2014, 05:39:13 PM
Yeah, I think the bonding on the #22 is "drier" so to speak, but my auto strippers struggle with #24 and I like the chubby look of the #22.  When I route my wires I use two chopsticks to sort of smooth the runs straight.  Old habit from amp building.  I should say that the #22 from SB is my second choice, but it is readily available.  My #1 choice is #22 "topcoat" appliance wire but it isn't always easy to find in smaller quantities.

Can you elaborate a bit more on your chopstick method? That sounds pretty handy and I'm always trying to neaten my wiring.

juansolo

Anyone who fancies it... The best stuff I've ever encountered is the 24AWG stuff on page 77 of the following PDF:

http://www.hitachi-cable.co.jp/ICSFiles/cable/ewc/10/ulcsa/all.pdf

When it's mass is done in kg a km, you know they don't ship small.

This stuff from what I can tell:

micromegas

Quote from: juansolo on March 04, 2014, 11:40:28 AM
Anyone who fancies it... The best stuff I've ever encountered is the 24AWG stuff on page 77 of the following PDF:

http://www.hitachi-cable.co.jp/ICSFiles/cable/ewc/10/ulcsa/all.pdf

When it's mass is done in kg a km, you know they don't ship small.

This stuff from what I can tell:

Is this calling for a group buy?
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

LaceSensor

juansolo

I got some of that once. Still have most of it left. I wasn't that impressed if I'm honest :o

LaceSensor

Quote from: juansolo on March 04, 2014, 01:44:19 PM
I got some of that once. Still have most of it left. I wasn't that impressed if I'm honest :o

I will buy it off you  :P . What colour is it? The purple was more fragile for some reason, the other stuff is legit or at least I like it.

juansolo

Quote from: micromegas on March 04, 2014, 12:51:10 PM
Is this calling for a group buy?

I suspect it'll be eye-wateringly expensive. Then there's finding someone who can buy it (I suspect you'd need to be a distributer)...

juansolo

Quote from: LaceSensor on March 04, 2014, 01:45:06 PM
Quote from: juansolo on March 04, 2014, 01:44:19 PM

I will buy it off you  :P . What colour is it? The purple was more fragile for some reason, the other stuff is legit or at least I like it.

LOL it is purple and you can have it. PM me your address and I'll dig it out and fire it over to you when I find it.

muddyfox

Quote from: LaceSensor on March 04, 2014, 01:37:19 PM
I use this

http://www.guitarpcb.com/apps/webstore/products/show/2249043

Its the bollocks. But quite pricey.

Same here. Best I can buy for the money...

sent from my mobile device