News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Blu-Tack.....

Started by peAk, March 02, 2014, 06:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rullywowr

Walmart has it as do many craft and home improvement stores. The Elmer's brand is popular in the US. Just make sure it's blue. I've used the yellow stuff from the dollar store and it just turns into a sticky mess.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

atreidesheir

It is called Loc-Tite at my walmart.  in the school supplies section beside the clips and board magnets.  It leaves a bit of an oily residue behind so that is probably bad for metal over time.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

icecycle66

If you have any teacher supply stores in the area, it' sold there.

billstein

Quote from: rullywowr on March 03, 2014, 01:10:06 PM
Walmart has it as do many craft and home improvement stores. The Elmer's brand is popular in the US. Just make sure it's blue. I've used the yellow stuff from the dollar store and it just turns into a sticky mess.

I bought some stuff at Home Depot and it is pretty useless. Blu-tac is stiffer and holds up much better with heat.

Leevibe

Wow, it looks like true, honest to goodness Bostik Blu-Tack is unobtainium around here in the Pacific NW, US. Anyone in the Portland, OR area using the real deal? It seems like Amazon is the only option and it ain't cheap. The unavailability is driving me crazy and it's fueling my desire to get some at any cost. What have I been missing??? I bought my son some "Blue Stick" for mounting hi-fi speakers on stands not knowing I was robbing him of stereo imaging and and sound stage!

Seriously though. I really want this stuff now and nothing but the real deal is going to cut it!

rullywowr

The loctite and Elmer's work fine for me. I wouldn't overthink it lol.

Leevibe

Quote from: rullywowr on March 04, 2014, 01:57:45 AM
The loctite and Elmer's work fine for me. I wouldn't overthink it lol.

Ha! I know you're right but this is a little like GAS!! :) Maybe I can find a supplier of NOS Tack.

playpunk

I cans sell you two nos hand matched packages of blu tack for 199.99. Plus $20 shipping & insurance. Lmk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"my legend grows" - playpunk

rullywowr

It's true, the NOS genuine blu tack has the best toan. There are so many sellers on eBay claiming they are selling the real stuff but it's just fake rebranded china putty.  Maybe I can fine a blu tack tester to ensure it's verified legit. :P

gordo

I have a board I'm sharing at GoshPark for a Blu-tak tester.  It's able to not only tell you if the goo is good but is able to detect NOS as well...
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Leevibe

Well, maybe if I end up with some counterfeit BT, I can use it to goop my super secret boards!

billstein

Quote from: playpunk on March 04, 2014, 02:28:45 AM
I cans sell you two nos hand matched packages of blu tack for 199.99. Plus $20 shipping & insurance. Lmk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Matched packages for a phaser build. So tempting.

Willybomb

You know, I was reading this thread and thought "pfft, who needs blu-tac to keep components neat?!".

Then my first MB boards showed up.  I've only made vero or Haberdasher etched boards in the past, and obviously I've never had any component issues with populating the board, flipping and soldering.

I did the pork barrel resistors first, and when I flipped it rightside up saw that half the resisters had dropped a couple of mil in the process and my board looked like junk.  So, I went and grabbed the blu-tac after some squeezing and resoldering.

Dammit, populating these boards is like throwing a sausage down a hallway...

peAk

I know this thread turned into kind of a joke but....

...let me tell you, my Blu-Tack showed up last week from Amazon and it was the best $12 I ever spent. That "Blu-Stik" I bought from Lowes sucked so bad I almost didn't giv Blu-Tack a chance.

I almost don't use my swivel PBC clamp at all anymore.

rullywowr

Quote from: peAk on March 10, 2014, 04:24:51 PM

I almost don't use my swivel PBC clamp at all anymore.

Ditto.  I have a nice Panavise JR...barely use it unless I'm soldering connectors on cables etc...  Putty is faster!