News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Synth-DIY -- how to start?

Started by alanp, March 02, 2014, 05:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lincolnic

Bengt! Sorry I couldn't remember it was your build! It's still damned impressive.  :D

alanp

Ordered some Frequency Central boards and faceplates. (PSU, 100M ADSR, VCA, VCO, Kardiogram VCF (I thought the red plexi panel and the red diodes were a neat-o idea), and a Wave Runner LFO.) Raul, I think I'll order some of your multi and attenuator boards when I've got them sorted. They're sized for... 3.5mm and 16mm jacks and pots?

This should be fun :)

Whether I bodge up a enclosure out of customwood, or buy one (and a power buss board from Elby Designs) depends on the money tree, since I also ordered...

... boards for a Klee sequencer. I'm a sick man.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

alanp

Okay, after some more research, euro-rack synth-diy sounds really, really fun. I'll admit I make pedals chiefly for the fun of the actual construction more than playing them. This modular synth thing could be a deep, deep rabbit hole.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

raulduke

Yep 3.5mm jacks (these are the ones I use: http://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/pj301bm-3-5mm-jack-sockets-x50/ )and 16mm pots.

It's a rabbit hole alright, and one that I am also going down  :)

You'll probably need a Midi-CV converter, and you could do a lot worse than getting yourself an Arturia Microbrute.

You get the Midi-CV, and also a whole analogue synth that you can interface with your future euro stuff  8)

I'm using mine as the 'base' to expand with future DIY modules.

alanp

Got half my FreqCentral modules built.

Not a single one tested, though. I don't have a Eurorack power supply or case :( I'm going to test the LFO first with the O'scope, then use that for a clock to test the ADSR, and go from there.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

Hangingmonkey

Synthtastic. I don't know much about synths but they look cool anyways. So why is frequency central in a mirror image on the faceplate? 

RobA

Those Frequency Central modules do look nice.

I haven't tried this yet, but my son told me this morning that he saw on a board somewhere that the Lack tables from Ikea are just the right width to use as a 19" rack case. I'm going to get one and some of the cross rails and give it a try. If it works, it's got to be one of the cheapest ways to put together a rack. I've seen those tables on sale for about US $9.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

peAk

I am watching this thread closely because this is the direction I would lik to go at some point.
R

alanp

Quote from: Hangingmonkey on March 31, 2014, 09:40:27 PM
Synthtastic. I don't know much about synths but they look cool anyways. So why is frequency central in a mirror image on the faceplate?

It's to visibly differentiate between his DIY boards and plates, and his commercially built modules, I think.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

lincolnic

Quote from: RobA on March 31, 2014, 09:48:19 PM
Those Frequency Central modules do look nice.

I haven't tried this yet, but my son told me this morning that he saw on a board somewhere that the Lack tables from Ikea are just the right width to use as a 19" rack case. I'm going to get one and some of the cross rails and give it a try. If it works, it's got to be one of the cheapest ways to put together a rack. I've seen those tables on sale for about US $9.

This isn't audio hardware, but it confirms that the Lack tables support 19" rack spacing: http://makezine.com/2010/01/22/lackrack-ikea-server-racks-for-livi/

raulduke

Yeah the lack will fit 19" rack gear.

You will still need some kind of rack to put your Eurorack modules in though.

I bought one of these (TipTop Happy Ending Kit):

Works great and you can use it as a desktop system too.

alanp

The LFO is waiting on a 7905 regulator, but all the other modules are working :)

Perfed up a MFOS PSU, using the Cioks AC10 for 12VAC. Good fun :D
- Terry Pratchett
My website

lincolnic

Looking good! I hope you'll make us a demo when that regulator comes in.

Any reason why all the modules are so far apart? They look lonely. Build them some more friends.  ;D

Thomas_H

This remembers me of what I had back 20 years ago. 
Later I bought a Roland JD 800 to bring back those abilities without the hassle.
Worked great.

DIY-PCBs and projects:

peterc

Affiliation: bizzaraudio.com