News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Egodriver Parts?

Started by tenwatt, March 22, 2011, 12:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: tenwatt on March 22, 2011, 09:51:19 PM
If the build specifies a brand of caps/resistors, say Xicon vs Vishay as in the case of the Ego, is that really going to matter in the sound of the pedal?

Not noticably in my experience anyways. The thing that will matter is tolerance of the component. In some cases a certain brand will make a higher quality component with a smaller tolerance value being the one you may want. Try and experiment, its the best method. And all of the docs here pretty much say specific parts like WIMA box caps or Panasonic ECQ-B caps.
I will say I've built a pedal using what is considered lower quality green mylar caps and it still sounded great!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

madbean

Those particular brands are listed because they are easy to get, have the correct lead spacing for the board and sound good. But, they are not a requirement, in any sense.

tenwatt

Thanx for all the info.  Due to your all's helpfulness I think I'm going to take this on.
Not too bright....

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: tenwatt on March 23, 2011, 01:43:38 PM
Thanx for all the info.  Due to your all's helpfulness I think I'm going to take this on.

Do it! Don't be afraid to ask any questions  :)

MJL90

Oh my, I only used box caps and electrolytic caps =/ will this fail entirely? or just sound different

MJL90

I also used 1/2 watt resistors, the shop had a crap selection of 1/4 watts, will that change the sound? Or will it just have a better power resistence?

jkokura

No change to the sound.

jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: MJL90 on March 24, 2011, 11:19:29 PM
I also used 1/2 watt resistors, the shop had a crap selection of 1/4 watts, will that change the sound? Or will it just have a better power resistence?

The wattage has to do with power dissapation which we don't really worry about. The components you would wanna change would be certain caps in the circuit(usually the non polarized ones) and the diodes that are invovled with clipping if it applies to the circuit your working with. There's lots of difference capacitors out there to experiment with. Also lots of discussions on forums talking about this which i kinda find subjective to the individual. Some people really claim they hear a difference when others state its impossible to tell a difference. Let your ears be your judge  ;D

tenwatt

I just received all my parts in the mail from Mammoth.  That had everything except the Tantalum which a friend was so kind to mail to me.  No I'm just awaiting the PCBs.  I can hardly wait to get started.
Not too bright....