News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Design Improvement - Suggestions

Started by fixxe, March 01, 2014, 07:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fixxe

I made this for a wampler black 65 clone, but I'm not feelin' it. What would you guys do to improve it?

Cortexturizer

I love it...
Maybe make it crazier with some wild knobs?
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

Stig

Nice building point to start out on.
But Im thinking to ditch the grille and replace with a creamy/yellowed White?

LaceSensor

go for the silver grille cloth

you got bf aesthetics but tweed grille?!?

Stomptown

The "Fender 65" text seems a little large compared to the boarder around it.

fixxe

thanks for the suggestions so far. I'm starting to think that maybe grill cloth graphics look tacky on pedals? what do you think?
I chose that grill cloth because I was going for the aged silver grill cloth look, but I guess I failed  ;D
Does someone have a good picture of an aged one?
The boarders definitaley need to get some work redone.

jkokura

I would change the word "Fender" to something else personally. If you ever decide to sell it, you want to avoid potential issues.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Micpoc

One thing you could do is use the grill pattern as a monochromic background texture on the entire surface with text above it, rather than isolated as a graphic image... just a thought.

Micpoc

Quote from: jkokura on March 01, 2014, 10:04:18 PM
I would change the word "Fender" to something else personally. If you ever decide to sell it, you want to avoid potential issues.

Jacob

+1... maybe something like BF '65

Stomptown

Quote from: jkokura on March 01, 2014, 10:04:18 PM

Jacob

This! I can say from experience this can cause issues. Seems innocent enough but as you can understand, business have good reason to protect their trademarks.

jkokura

My first thought would be "Black 65" because that's similar in length and conveys the same message.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

ian_guga

I would do something in that line...
my lab loves fuzz

pickdropper

I think that looks better.

I would still play with the font sizing and spacing on the top area.  Is everything board mounted or off-board wired?

If it's not board mounted, I would try to center the toggle and the middle knob below it and then check that your pots/knobs and text are spaced equidistant from the center.  Some layouts look better asymmetric, but I think this one would look better symmetrical.

You may also want to move the LED indicator to the right and the "Deluxe Reverb" text to the left.  It looks slightly out of balance right now.

Overall, I think this will end up looking really nice when tweaked in.  You are definitely getting close.

Just my 2c.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

fixxe

Someone else did it. But I must say, it's pretty awesome, I think I might do it like that, thanks! :)
Another idea would be to call it Fassbender-Man and put his face over the entire pedal, haha. Though I'd like to keep the idea for whenever I feel like building a bass...
I'm going to build it on vero, so I'm free to choose where to put things. For example, I think putting the toggle switch on the "faceplate" would be even cooler, whaddaya think? Keeps it more in the spirit of the amp design.

juansolo

Quote from: fixxe on March 01, 2014, 07:58:02 PM
I made this for a wampler black 65 clone, but I'm not feelin' it. What would you guys do to improve it?

Anime/comic book/psychedelic/stoner/graffiti art...

Probably not the answer you are looking for however ;)
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk