News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Robust resistors, are you for or against?

Started by chromesphere, February 27, 2014, 05:14:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobA

Quote from: billstein on February 27, 2014, 09:06:41 PM
Quote from: jkokura on February 27, 2014, 08:53:17 PM
(that's called an interweb hug-it-out session) #bromance

Jacob

Yep. As soon as I opened this thread I could feel the love. It's a beautiful thing.

Hmmm. (It's really just the tone of the whole forum. Everyone is nice, friendly, and helpful, even when they do really disagree. That's a pretty rare thing on the web.)
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

peAk

Quote from: icecycle66 on February 27, 2014, 09:17:10 PM
However, I really like the way those little sausage looking resistors...eh, look.

What resistors are you refering to?

RobA

I like thin leads.
I don't solder one component at a time.  I'll have eight or ten resistors in the board before I flip it and solder. 
With the thinner leads I can just wisp along soldering each one.  I hardly have to hesitate to bring it to temp.

However, I really like the way those little sausage looking resistors...eh, look.
So I might switch to those after I get rid of the gallon of Tayda thin leads I have.
I do the resistor populating the same way. You are right that they come up to temp really fast. The issue I have with them when soldering is that the solder doesn't wick up them as well as other resistors and so the hole doesn't fill as well or as quickly for me. It could just be my technique too. I rejected them pretty quickly and didn't try to develop soldering with them.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

icecycle66

RobA

Quote from: peAk on February 27, 2014, 09:21:26 PM

What resistors are you refering to?
Probably the Vishay/Dale type mentioned earlier. They do look like little sausages. And they do look good. They give the board a really clean look, less colorful, more high tech.

Quote from: icecycle66 on February 27, 2014, 09:25:36 PM
Vishay-Dale.
(Unless there are some similar ones for cheaper)

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=13805.msg129733#msg129733
(We crossed in posting.) They do look nice.

davent

If i'd had flaccid resistors when i first tried breadboarding i would have packed it in then and there... beef it is!
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

pickdropper

Note for those buying Vishay/Dale: they under spec them.  Their 1/8W resistors are the same size as most 1/4W resistors.  If you buy a pile of 1/4W from them, they might not fit.

I can't remember if all of their lines are like that, but the ones I've bought in the past definitely are.  Checking the datasheet is recommended.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

chromesphere

For some reason after reading this thread this morning I was singing this on my way to work:

"I like big leads and I can not lie"
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

peAk

interesting!

I do think I prefer the color band look over the sausage look. I had to eat too many Vienna sausages in a can when I was a kid, nasty stuff and those resistors look too much like them.

that being said, I would love having the value on them over color bands any day!

m-Kresol

I've never tried tayda's, but I like the ones I have (no-name from RS components). greenish blue with colour code. Never had any problems with specs or snapping of the legs.

Other question kinda related: Which size of solder pads do you prefer? I really dig the bit bigger ones Brian is using, since they are easy to solder without needing a tiny tip. I have to admit, I was struggling yesterday with culturejam's duovibe, when I had to desolder/resolder the LED, because it was too big with the socket I installed to try different LEDs in case the one I've got doesn't sound good. (this is not a complaint by any means, it's a great circuit, board and design, I just prefer the pads a little bigger!)
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

miter53

Re: Vishay Dale resistors...be aware that many of the 1/4 w ones are oversized also. I have a bunch of really big ones I ordered by mistake that I try to squeeze in when I can. The key is the 55 in the part #, rather than 60 (avoid RN60s!). Check the data sheet. I started using them building hifi gear, as they have a reputation for being very low noise, and they're really rugged. Maybe overkill for pedal use, but they do look cool. I generally figure parts (especially resistors) are cheap, and my time is not.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk
"Only sick music makes money today."-Friedrich Nietzsche
My photography website: http://michaelteresko.com/

Micpoc

Thanks for that pertinent info.
Quote from: miter53 on February 28, 2014, 02:11:46 AMThe key is the 55 in the part #, rather than 60 (avoid RN60s!).

Thanks for the pertinent info, miter53.

peAk

OT,

Man, chromesphere, just connected the dots and realized who you were.

I had watched a ton of your videos before I started posting on here. You have got some great videos!

Just wanted to give you some props.

chromesphere

Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube