News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Larger Enclosures....no likey?

Started by peAk, February 26, 2014, 06:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lars

1up for larger pedal enclosures. I recently picked up a DOD 680; that enclosure size was great. Especially good for when the SAD4096 is dead and you have to retro-fit an MN3205 in there. Plenty of real estate to work with. I'd like to find a DOD 640 now, working or otherwise.

micromegas

Quote from: pickdropper on February 26, 2014, 10:19:41 PM

Quote from: culturejam on February 26, 2014, 06:43:52 PM
The whole "1590A craze" is really just a fad. Like hipsters and their PBR, this too shall pass.  ;D

That's it, I now have to make a hipster 1590a with PBR graphics.

Gauntlet thrown.

and don't forget the curly moustache
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

jubal81

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

chromesphere

I find them challenging.  I don't really see the point in trying to squeeze a complicated effect into a 1590a if only for the challenge.  Even with a basic effect I feel somewhat like a microsurgeon.

Best thing about them imo too is the small storage footprint.  Im running out of shelf space in the study :o
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

Stomptown

Quote from: culturejam on February 26, 2014, 10:32:59 PM
Quote from: Stomptown on February 26, 2014, 10:03:38 PM
1590B is the size I gravitate towards. If the 125B wasn't so tall...

I would love to see a 125B that's slightly less tall. Taller than 1590B, but not as tall as 125B.

That would be my Goldilocks enclosure size.  ;D

lol! "Now that 125B is just right!" Yeah, I'd like to see it about the same height as the 1590BB.

alanp

Larger enclosures cost more. (Said the man with a 1456KL3 enclosure in his pile o' parts...)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

lincolnic

I would love to see a 125B that's slightly less tall. Taller than 1590B, but not as tall as 125B.

I never knew this was the enclosure size I've been dreaming of until right now. Who do we talk to about making this happen?

Stomptown

Quote from: lincolnic on February 27, 2014, 06:50:43 AM

I never knew this was the enclosure size I've been dreaming of until right now. Who do we talk to about making this happen?

Here is the closest thing I can find: Hammond 1550B (4.51"x2.52"x1.01")

For reference, a 125B is   4 5/8" x 2 1/2" x 1 1/2" so it pretty much fits the bill perfectly!

Only $6.50 at Mouser!!!
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Hammond-Manufacturing/1550B/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsrGrAVj6eTvWOQOjqNcnorpDBXWD232as%3d

Mich P

Quote from: Stomptown on February 27, 2014, 05:35:26 AM

lol! "Now that 125B is just right!" Yeah, I'd like to see it about the same height as the 1590BB.

Agree with that, that i would see as well
Mich P.

Stomptown

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=14136.15

Here is a pic of the 1550B. Unfortunately I just realized it is slightly shallower than a 1590B. It will work fine if you use low profile electrolytics caps but might be problematic otherwise. Not quite in the Goldilocks zone but close...  :)

Cortexturizer

Really glad this topic turned out hehe. Been thinking the same for quite some time, however I did have a 1590A run a while back but quickly deserted that style of enclosure. It just showed that my 1590As are not that reliable, I'm no pickdropper..
Okay yeah, a couple of my friends are doing really big gigs with 1590a pedals that I made for them, but those are SHOs...

I really like slanted enclosures, and something like those cool old fuzzes that have totally unnecessary big enclosures. It's just cooler, have much more room for graphics, and it's something that boost self-esteem even, a little...kinda...I mean it's not the same feeling when you're stomping on a tiny pipsquick 1590a turd and when you don't really think about it you just put your foot on that big box, not fearing that you're gonna turn it over, and you feel more like that pedal is a very important part of your stage appearance and of course sound. I tend to bring big boxes to a rehearsal more often than small cause their size kinda makes it serious for me, they are the chosen ones, the golden ones, whereas with those tiny pedals I just feel like I am using some sort of a cheat I don't know it's totally subjective and irrational, but it's where I stand. Cheers
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

micromegas

Quote from: Mich P on February 27, 2014, 08:15:42 AM
Quote from: Stomptown on February 27, 2014, 05:35:26 AM

Agree with that, that i would see as well
Mich P.

maybe this does the work?
http://es.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Hammond-Manufacturing/1590BBS/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMu5DcJECksadYgB4A4CSBdu

EDIT: sorry, I misunderstood the whole thing. This one is a taller 1590BB...

RobA

The 1590BBS is a great size for multi-builds or really big pedals. They are pretty much the size I'd like to see more available, but they are hard to come by (Mouser only?), so they cost a bit.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

micromegas

Quote from: RobA on February 27, 2014, 11:19:34 AM
The 1590BBS is a great size for multi-builds or really big pedals. They are pretty much the size I'd like to see more available, but they are hard to come by (Mouser only?), so they cost a bit.

Or to install top mounted jacks in builds such as Josh's Multiplex or the Nautilus....

peAk

Quote from: Cortexturizer on February 27, 2014, 09:34:35 AM

I really like slanted enclosures, and something like those cool old fuzzes that have totally unnecessary big enclosures.

just finished a fuzz in one of those and have a Nautilus I am boxing in one as well. I bought them off a guy on Ebay. Shipping is a little high for just one but you can get as many as you like for the same shipping price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/60s-Reissue-Pedal-Enclosure-Fuzz-Project-Box-Made-in-USA-RI-Folded-Steel-/320781926498?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item4ab017c062#ht_329wt_1362

unless there is somewhere cheaper that you have seen? These are pretty heavy duty duty. The only thing is that the holes in the back are predrilled. That could either be a good or bad thing

Here is the Fuzz I did with tolex covering on the bottom/sides. Overkill space wise? Sure, but I like big!