News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Larger Enclosures....no likey?

Started by peAk, February 26, 2014, 06:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peAk

Is it "bad" to like larger enclosures? I get it that if you are a gigging musician with a ton of pedals you want them to be smaller for obvious reasons. I also get that they are cheaper and "greener".....

....but...kind of like albums, there is something cool to me about larger pedals. I think it has to do with the real estate for the graphics and freedom for customization.

Of course there is no denying that it takes more skill to fit this stuff in as small as an enclosure as you can and maybe larger enclosure screams "rookie"....

Just curious what people's thoughts on this were.

culturejam

The whole "1590A craze" is really just a fad. Like hipsters and their PBR, this too shall pass.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

RobA

I like bigger and with end mounted jacks. 125B is the same board width as the 1590A. I really wish that a 125B height 1590BB footprint box were more commonly available (for cheap). Also, I like all the weird boxes, like the stop sign and trapezoidals. It's just more fun that way.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

GermanCdn

Yeah, I don't buy into "make it as small as you absolutely can", though I certainly appreciate the work of those that do.

I end up putting effects into the boxes I have in stock, so if it calls for a 1590B, but I have a really sweet 125B on hand and I really like the effect, that's the way I go.

As far as pedal board real estate, unless you have tiny feet, you still realistically have to have a certain distance between stomp switches, so the A to B space argument makes a lot of sense on paper, but not so much in an active pedalboard.

I actually think there isn't enough love for taller enclosures.  For dual effect builds, I am increasingly going towards 125BB enclosures (same footprint as a 1590BB with the height of a 125B), because it gives me a little extra room to mount the jacks.  Point in case, I recently built a MP Jr/Tenebrion two in one, and in a 1590BB it would have been possible, but with a lot of careful planning and no f-ups in measuring, whereas with a 125BB it was a breeze, even though I had to measure the pot spacing to the mm, as the two boards side by each are almost exactly the same width as the interior dimension of the box.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

GermanCdn

Quote from: RobA on February 26, 2014, 06:49:26 PM
I like bigger and with end mounted jacks. 125B is the same board width as the 1590A. I really wish that a 125B height 1590BB footprint box were more commonly available (for cheap). Also, I like all the weird boxes, like the stop sign and trapezoidals. It's just more fun that way.

125BB and 1590BB are the same price from PPP, and actually cheaper if you buy 10 (the price break for 1590BB is at 25).
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

midwayfair

Quote from: culturejam on February 26, 2014, 06:43:52 PM
The whole "1590A craze" is really just a fad. Like hipsters and their PBR, this too shall pass.  ;D

>:( Scumbag!

;D

FWIW, there's only one 1590A on my main pedal board, and I don't have to stomp on it because it's always on.

Damn convenient for storing as many as possible on the toy shelf, though!

juansolo

The only reason for making 1590As as far as I'm concerned is so they take up less storage space. Otherwise they're an almighty pain in the arse. They unstable when used in anger unless bolted down, if you wedge them next to each other they're too close together for easy stompage, they're a pain to make and you can't use nice stomps in them.

BUT

They can also, sometimes, be quite good fun to build. In a masochistic sort of way.

For me the 1590B is the perfect sized enclosure.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

icecycle66

I really like those tiny boxes for utility types of things. 
I've made a few microbox effects, just to challenge myself.  It was a challenge, but not very rewarding.
Similar to Jon, I have one 1590A on my board (a Blue Clipper).  Unless I'm running clean, it's always on.

Otherwise the 125B is my go to box.

RobA

Quote from: GermanCdn on February 26, 2014, 06:54:05 PM
Quote from: RobA on February 26, 2014, 06:49:26 PM
[...]
125BB and 1590BB are the same price from PPP, and actually cheaper if you buy 10 (the price break for 1590BB is at 25).

That's good to know. I haven't made an order from them yet. Maybe now is the time. Thanks for the info.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

jkokura

I've been saying this all along...

125B 4 life.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Stomptown

I like the 1590A builds for the challenge but the 1590B is the size I gravitate towards. If the 125B wasn't so tall... I will say that larger enclosures look great though and again I gravitate towards larger enclosures without too much added height. I was actually just looking at Jacobs Zero Point Delay build and I was marveling at his enclosure choice. Same width of a 1590BB but square instead of rectangle. Really seems like the perfect size for that build. Not cramped and not over-sized either. What kind of enclosure is that anyway? Jacob? Here is the build report for those interested:

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=11284.msg101637#msg101637

jkokura

1590Q.

My choices are really simple, and basically I will only use the following unless I can help it:

Single size - Single/double Size - Single/Double Size - Double Size - Double/Triple/Quad Size
  125B                   125BB                    1590Q                  1790NS                1590DD
1590B                 1590BB                                                                         1590D/J
  2.7"w                   3.7"w                    4.7"w                     5.7"w            6.7"w (or more)

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

pickdropper

That's it, I now have to make a hipster 1590a with PBR graphics.

Gauntlet thrown.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

culturejam

Quote from: Stomptown on February 26, 2014, 10:03:38 PM
1590B is the size I gravitate towards. If the 125B wasn't so tall...

I would love to see a 125B that's slightly less tall. Taller than 1590B, but not as tall as 125B.

That would be my Goldilocks enclosure size.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects