News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Ceramic and silver mica caps

Started by flanagan0718, February 25, 2014, 08:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flanagan0718

So, after ordering a few values from tayda I noticed that they were crap! Where do you guys get your ceramic caps from? Also tayda doesn't sell silver mica or 1/8th watt resistors, where do you get those?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RobA

I think Tayda's resistors and caps are crap, so I won't get them there. I get all my resistors and silver mica caps at Mouser. For film caps, electrolytics and ceramic caps, I get them from either Mouser or Avnet depending on what else I'm getting in the order and who has them cheaper -- it varies cap-to-cap.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

GermanCdn

I just ordered a pile of 1/8 resistors from a supplier in China off the 'bay (they were $1.29 per hundred shipped), once I get them if they're any good I'll post the sellers name here.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

flanagan0718

Great! I got a 1/8th watt resistor kit on ebay but there were some random values in there. I'll check out Avnet, haven't heard of them. I find ppp to be a bit pricey when it comes to ceramics and SM.

GermanCdn

Quote from: flanagan0718 on February 25, 2014, 09:32:13 PM
Great! I got a 1/8th watt resistor kit on ebay but there were some random values in there. I'll check out Avnet, haven't heard of them. I find ppp to be a bit pricey when it comes to ceramics and SM.

Yeah, I bought one of those kits too, but there was way too much I'd never ever use in them.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

RobA

Quote from: flanagan0718 on February 25, 2014, 09:32:13 PM

Avnet usually has the best prices on anything from TI and the Epcos film caps. They tend to be good on the Panasonic and Nichicon electros too. The address is http://avnetexpress.avnet.com. Their web interface has issues in some browsers. Sometimes I have to try a couple of browsers before I find one that their search works in.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

peAk

I just ordered a bunch of 1/8 resistors from Mouser.

Stupid me somehow type in a quantity of (1) for 4k7......grrr.....

chromesphere

Sorry to 'self-promote' I just thought this was highly appropriate.  I've just been adding some 'compact' resistors to the store.  They are 1/4 watt but 1/8 watt 'size', pretty dam small!  Not the cheapest you will find around, but you can use these in place of any build resistor without worry of power handling: 

http://www.diyguitarpedals.com.au/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=19_21

More values are on the way.
Cheers
Paul

Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

Clayford

I love those things. I'm using some one on a couple of JMK's boards. They were cheaper than 1/8w from Digikey
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded