News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Hipster Fuzz: with 1776 3PDT board

Started by phill122004, February 25, 2014, 03:04:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phill122004

Hey All,
I am planning on building a hipster fuzz by madbean. I was wondering if I could use a 1776 3PDT board with it? If so what do I do with the G/9v slots that are higher up on the PCB? Do I attach the 9v to the 1776 board and leave the ground slot beside it alone?

jubal81

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

phill122004

Thanks for the reply! I have looked at the wiring diagram for the 1776 board. My only concern is that if I use the 3PDT board, I will have an extra ground spot unused on the fuzz. Is this ok?

Clayford

As long as everything has a ground connection it's good.

All ground points on a board are connected, so only one gnd connection is quite fine.

head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

Stomptown

Quote from: phill122004 on February 25, 2014, 03:13:47 AM
Thanks for the reply! I have looked at the wiring diagram for the 1776 board. My only concern is that if I use the 3PDT board, I will have an extra ground spot unused on the fuzz. Is this ok?

Not a problem at all. The extra pads on the main PCB are for the same purpose as the extra pads on the 3PDT PCB; to avoid tying two ground wires to the same point (e.g. tying two wires to the sleeve on the input jack). These extra pads just help keep wiring neat and tidy. As long as you can confirm that all of your grounds are connected you are good to go! Just make sure the following are connected in some way or another:

Main PCB Ground pad
Input jack sleeve
9VDC jack ground lug
Ground pad on 3PDT PCB
Aluminum Enclosure
Output jack
anything else in your build that needs to be grounded!

Note: When you connect the sleeve of your input jack to ground it will in turn ground your enclosure, which in turn will ground your output jack. Therefore, you don't need to worry about wiring the enclosure or output jack to ground UNLESS you are using closed frame jacks that are not designed to connect the sleeve to an enclosure (if you don't see any metal on the jack that will make contact with the enclosure when you tighten your nut that is a good sign that the jacks will not ground your enclosure). In this case your would need to connect both jacks and the enclosure to a ground point.