News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Anyone built a HiFi tube headphone amp?

Started by juansolo, February 24, 2014, 01:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

Quote from: muddyfox on February 25, 2014, 02:43:37 PM

It's not tube but I've been wanting to build this one...

http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/07/o2-headphone-amp.html

I think I've built four of those for me and for friends.  It's decent enough, but it's far from my favorite.  My Pimeta and PPA see a lot more usage.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

juansolo

Well I think I'm going to have a go at a 12AU7 Starving Student and see how it goes ;)
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

thesameage

I actually have a Millet hybrid-- offshoot of the starving student-- if anyone needs one. I'm not really using it right now.

karter2000

Quote from: thesameage on May 30, 2014, 02:55:49 PM
I actually have a Millet hybrid-- offshoot of the starving student-- if anyone needs one. I'm not really using it right now.

Do you have a pcb or complete amp?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thesameage

I've got the whole working amp and some extra tubes along with a simple USB DAC. It sounds great, but I have it at work and it's a little bit of overkill. I bought it off of someone on headfi a few years ago and have been trying to use it over the years but it's always too much for my work situation. Sounds awesome, though!

pickdropper

Function f(x)

karter2000

Quote from: thesameage on May 30, 2014, 03:37:56 PM
I've got the whole working amp and some extra tubes along with a simple USB DAC. It sounds great, but I have it at work and it's a little bit of overkill. I bought it off of someone on headfi a few years ago and have been trying to use it over the years but it's always too much for my work situation. Sounds awesome, though!

How much are you asking for everything?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thesameage

Good question!  :)

It's been in my desk here at work for a while now and I'm finally coming around to realizing that I won't be using it. So, just thinking about passing it on to someone who can really use it.

As always, I have a few projects to fund, but could do the right trade.

thesameage

I just looked back and I bought it for $100 (cheaper as it needed some resoldering on the switch) and the DAC for around $45. Here are some original pictures of it from that sale:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/44936083@N04/sets/72157622749291721/

So... somewhere in that area. Comes with two sets of tubes. Let me know if anyone is really interested and I can give it a once over this weekend. Make an offer. :)

thesameage

BTW, Pickdropper, I'm the one who bought the Shoot the Moon from you last night on BYOC.

pickdropper

Quote from: thesameage on May 30, 2014, 04:00:13 PM
BTW, Pickdropper, I'm the one who bought the Shoot the Moon from you last night on BYOC.

Ah, cool.

Can you shoot me your address?  I've been having trouble getting to BYOC.
Function f(x)