News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What's a good combo amp

Started by jimilee, February 24, 2014, 12:59:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clayford

Quote from: jimilee on February 24, 2014, 09:14:05 PM
Hey hey hey, I see what you're doing....I already been looking at them.  I have a 1x10 right now I can use, if I don't like the way it sounds, that will be next. Did you get your wah running? Sounds awesome with a terrible torroid inductor from how Gagan. I change q1 to stock though, it has more wah

I'm not quite done playing with my Weener(Wah) yet. I do think I know exactly how it's gonna go now. Need to drill the enclosure this weekend to add the Rotary, power, the extra jack, and the led. I have the purple devil and Joe's pot for mine. Not gonna get it finished this week.

head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

playpunk

I just got an AC4c1bl that I like - 10" speaker, sounds nice and voxy.
"my legend grows" - playpunk

jball85

1st generation Fender Super Champ XD (used) or Marshall class 5. I own the first and will never part with it. Its loud enough to gig as well.

jtn191

I would say the best value tube amps are chassis, radios, pa amps on ebay. A little bit of fixing/mods and they sound better than some of the mass produced budget amps. FYI ampeg guitar amps are way underrated. I've got a Gemini ii chassis for ~$200 and it does the Deluxe reverb thing

gordo

Good call on the Tweaker.  Be kind to it, cuz they're a bitch to fix (tight quarters and a lot o' stuff crammed in there).  The Epi VJr and Blackhearts were good cuz you can tweak them pretty easy and there's a ton of info out there.  One of the ones that flies under the radar is the Laney Cub.  I'm a Night Train (15w version) freak and you can find those for cheap from time to time.  This will go over like a fart in a spacesuit but the Peavey Vipre series can be had on the cheap too and depending on your opinion of modeling amps it's capable of some cool sounds.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jimilee

Quote from: gordo on February 25, 2014, 03:33:43 AM
Good call on the Tweaker.  Be kind to it, cuz they're a bitch to fix (tight quarters and a lot o' stuff crammed in there).  The Epi VJr and Blackhearts were good cuz you can tweak them pretty easy and there's a ton of info out there.  One of the ones that flies under the radar is the Laney Cub.  I'm a Night Train (15w version) freak and you can find those for cheap from time to time.  This will go over like a fart in a spacesuit but the Peavey Vipre series can be had on the cheap too and depending on your opinion of modeling amps it's capable of some cool sounds.
Even if I decide it's not my gig, I can turn it, or give one of you mugs a deal. As for the modeling amp, I was looking for that strat tube amp sound, I just dig it for what I'm wanting to do. Don't get me wrong, I have a schecter diamond series with hum buckers too. Looking to play some blues and learn to play some blues in guitar.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

peAk

After years of playing a twin, I got myself a small Vibro Champ XD and I love it.

Not for gigging but great for recording.  It was cheap too.

Clayford

Quote from: jimilee on February 25, 2014, 03:42:28 AM
Don't get me wrong, I have a schecter diamond series with hum buckers too. Looking to play some blues and learn to play some blues in guitar.

Jimi - that thing has volume knobs. HB's rolled back through tubes sound
AAHHH-MAAAAAY-ZINNNNG

Then when you need to you can roll the knob up, get some hair on it, dig in and get some STANK.
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

Leevibe

If you ever decide to build a tweed, I have a Classic Tone OT with 8 ohm secondary I'm willing to let go of. I was going to use it in my 5E3 but decided I wanted to get the one with 4, 8, 16 ohm taps so I never used it. It's USA built to vintage specs.