News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Opinions Requested - American Standard Strat

Started by angrykoko, February 23, 2014, 10:34:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

angrykoko

So I've got an 2011 american standard strat that I hardly every play.
It sounds "meh" to me.  neck feels fine but hate hate hate tremolos I've realized;  and the damn middle pickup is always in my way when picking.

before I give up on it... what are some good advice mods I could try?
Block the trem is one I've been meaning to do.
Maybe some pickups that don't sound like a strat could be another (any advice?).
any others?

Thanks
Koko
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

ddog

Try installing a switch (or use a push-pull pot) so you can have the neck pickup always on. That way you can have a Neck + bridge pickup combo (Switch On and the 5 way selector is at the bridge). You'll also get the option of having all 3 pickups at the same time (Switch On and the 5 way selector is at the bridge+middle), but I haven't found much use for it.

I also have it hooked up, so that my middle tone control also controls my bridge tone (literally a 1 wire mod) - it can help remove the harshness of the bridge pickup

murdog47

Gilmour switch  ;)

Adds the neck pickup to get neck and bridge at the same time or all three at the same time

jkokura

Should be easy enough to find a replacement Pickguard and try Tele type pickups. Or a pair of Humbuckers.

The add neck/bridge or '7 sound strat' mod is very popular and certainly yields useful sounds.

However, it sounds to me like you need to trade it to me for a bunch pedals and parts.

Serious offer...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

angrykoko

wow, that was fast.  Thanks!
I'll give the Gilmour mod on a push-pull a try (sounds like a money maker mod no matter what).

Sorry Jacob, I already have more pedals / parts than I know what to do with.

So you guys got me googling with the "Gilmour" comment..  tuns out my other favorite strat player: Mr. Richie Blackmore hated that middle pickup too for the same reason that I do. Sounds like maybe he just lowered it way down out of the way (simple enough).

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

brucer

I'm a novice player and more inclined to my MIM Telecaster or Epi Les Paul, but I really liked the mini-switch that got put in my MIM Stratocaster by the luthier that did my initial set-up.  It allows you to play the neck and bridge pickups together or all three together (http://www.guitar-mod.com/wiring/neck_on_howto.gif).  Fralin's blender pot is a similar, but different approach (http://www.fralinpickups.com/images/blendschem2.jpg).

Another nice mod the luthier did was wiring the lower tone pot to control the middle and bridge (http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/strat-bridge-pickup-tone-control-1).  Again, more options.

Together, these offer some nice tone combinations and helped me like the stock pickups enough to not replace them.  Also helped me appreciate the variety of tones you can get with low-ish output pickups, a couple of pedals and an amp set near breakup. 

Definitely still sounds like a strat, but sometimes that's what fits the bill.

atreidesheir

You found the solution to the middle pickup problem.  I have even seen 2 pickup pickguards for strats .  Robbie Robertson did it in the "Last Waltz" too.  Am std strats are great feeling, great playing guitars.  I believe you can love it.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

lars

Try a set of lace sensor blue, silver, red. The older sets are better quality. It gives you a wide variety of tone from humbucking on the neck, classic strat on the middle, and searing leads on the bridge. Plus they're flat so you could adjust the middle pickup to almost flush with the pickguard. Also I found this suggestion for the tremolo, "Make sure the tremolo has all 5 springs installed; ensure that the 6 bridge plate screws are as snug as possible but allowing the tremolo plate to sit firmly flush on the body and lastly, tighten both tremolo claw screws as far as they will go. Once these tasks are accomplished, no way will that bridge move on its own. Best of all, its totally reversible and you don't have to get into all sorts of unnecessary projects."

Rockhorst

Blackmore indeed lowered down his middle pickup. His signature strat even has a dummy in that position if I'm not mistaken. I nevey have trouble with the middle pickup being in the way. In fact, I can't live without the sound. Guess my picking technique is just different.

Bridge himbucker might a nice mod, something like an EVO 2 pickup is a nice combo for switching from rhythm to solo.

Blocking the trem could be an option. I block my Floyd guitars but usually don't feel the need to do it with strats. A heavier trem block (bigger and made out of steel or brass) could be a good idea. The standard block, even if it's not zinc, is rather flimsy.

Hope that helps.

angrykoko

Thanks everyone!

The bridge pickup is just a shrill mess to me, hopefully adding the neck "on" switch and a tone control to it will help.

As far as pickups, I've always been a bit overwhelmed by the sheer amout out there.   I've sort of been eyeing up hot rails (ala Dave Murray  ;)  ) but the lace sensors I know a bunch of folks love and then there are these Fishman Fluence pickups that (from what I can tell) can mimic just about anything: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=13710.0    I don't want my strat to sound like a les paul though, I just want it less crappy.

The middle pickup in the way (if anyone is curious)... Do you remember when you were a kid riding a bike and lets say your trying to hop a curb but your pushing down on your pedal and the bottom of the pedal hits the curb kind of jarring your leg?   it's like that with the pick is hitting the top of the pickup as I dig in and for some reason that little 1 inch of pickup seems to always find it's way under me.

madbean

I'll second Lace pickups. I love the sound of the Red, Silver, Blue.

My main Strat has the neck/bridge mod, and it is essential. I also have it where you can run them in series rather than parallel. I like that quite a bit.

I would not do anything too radical as far as removing the tremolo or permanently altering it. You will kill the re-sale value. A block on both sides of the cavity attached via double sided foam tape would do the trick. Plus, it might even increase body resonance a bit. Maybe not because of the tape.

micromegas

If you wan't to be able to block the tremolo without altering the playability of the guitar, you can order one of these:
http://www.tremol-no.com/

'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

gjcamann

Quote from: micromegas on February 24, 2014, 11:53:15 AM
If you wan't to be able to block the tremolo without altering the playability of the guitar, you can order one of these:
http://www.tremol-no.com/

Sounds interesting. Anyone use one of these? Does it help the sustain at all?

jkokura

I'm about to try a set of Dimarzio Area pickups for my start. I have a set of the Area T's in my Tele and I love them. They sound authentic to my ears but without the hum (I can't stand hum).

There are waaay too many pickup options out there, but the few I've heard that I liked in a start have always been vintage sounding. The hot-rod type start pickups never really sound great to my ears, but a lot of that has to do with musical genre and playing style.

I also really love Tom Anderson Pickups. They sound more modern than some vintage style, but they are also hum cancelling and Tom is one of the nicest and helpful guys I've ever interacted with. I hope some day to own one of his guitars.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

murdog47