News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Kingslayer IC - issues

Started by PhiloB, February 20, 2014, 05:45:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

Also I confirmed with Rej on his klon, if you're running buffered out you have to have the stomp connected, BUT If your voltages aren't right, still a bridge somewhere. Does the IC still get hot? Etched boards can be tricky sometimes.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

midwayfair

You still need to figure out why you don't have -9V at pin 5 of the charge pump. Time to use the continuity tester on your multimeter and make sure things that are supposed to be connected actually are. It's also possible you fried the charge pump at some point.

MIght help to see the other side of the board as well.

PhiloB

I'm at work Jon.  I'll test continuity and post a pic later tonight

PhiloB

I'm a fool sometimes.  I went home to take a picture of the top of the board and it hit me. I didn't do a good enough job on hand drilling the copper.  (I made the mistake of taping off the copper on top, still can't figure out what possessed me to do so!) I figured I'd just remove the copper around each hole.  It took forever.  Watched at least a couple hours of Olympics while doing so.  I was very careful to remove enough copper and place the components in a way that avoided contact with the copper on top.  Obviously the components must have shifted or were making contact from the start.  It would explain why I had signal to start with and not now.  Might explain why I got negative voltage on PIN 5 briefly and then not.  In my head, this complicates things to the point that I should abort, buy a prefabbed Kingslayer and start over.  Don't have the heart to etch another one right now.  At least I can salvage the pots, toggles, ICs and diodes.  At the risk of embarrassing myself I'll post the pic of the top.

jimilee

DDAAAAMMMNNN!!! I have never ever seen that before!
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

gtr2

Yikes!   :)

Thanks for posting the pic!

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

davent

That's okay... before regulation almost a 700vdc differential. My first tube project, quite a few years ago.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?