News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NPD: Gots me a Deluxe Memory Man

Started by culturejam, February 20, 2014, 02:39:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

Been jonesing for one of these for years. Saw one on Reverb the other day for a stupid-low price and just had to have it. GAS got me.  8)

So I'm testing this thing earlier and I'm thinking that the new Chinese BBDs they put in there (I assumed Belling BL3208) are sounding especially amazing. I pop the hood to see what's going on, when I see a row of four MN3008s.   :o Then it makes sense to me why it came with a special-tipped 24V DC wall wart.   :D

I don't see any op amps, so I'm going to assume they are all on the bottom side (SMD).

Anyway, I'm digging the tones. I don't much care for the Vibrato modulation, but the Chorus set with low depth is, for me, the classic modulated delay sound. Max delay time is just over half a second. Maxed out it's a little noisy, but totally well within the acceptable range. Considering the low price I got, I'm chuffed all around with this purchase.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Bret608

That is a nice score, for sure. Even more proof why the DIY community needs an analog delay layout that uses four MN3008s!

juansolo

Noooo, stick to stuff in production. BL3208s x4.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Matt

Matt

culturejam

Quote from: juansolo on February 20, 2014, 06:49:32 PM

I asked Brian about this quite some time ago and he seemed keen on the idea. Maybe we could renew our  calls for such a circuit. Really, I think reworking the Dirtbag for 4x BL3208 would be perfect.

I think a hybrid would be cool as well. Like 2x BL3208 and 1x PT2399. Soulsonic used to make a delay that had a MN3005 and a 2399. The BBD did the shorter times, and then you could kick in the 2399 for longer times (it was in series). Man, I shouldn't have sold that pedal.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

LaceSensor

i keep hoping for a 2xmn3005 big box will cross my path one day

great score there, however.

Matt

Quote from: culturejam on February 21, 2014, 01:52:56 AM

I asked Brian about this quite some time ago and he seemed keen on the idea. Maybe we could renew our  calls for such a circuit. Really, I think reworking the Dirtbag for 4x BL3208 would be perfect.

I think a hybrid would be cool as well. Like 2x BL3208 and 1x PT2399. Soulsonic used to make a delay that had a MN3005 and a 2399. The BBD did the shorter times, and then you could kick in the 2399 for longer times (it was in series). Man, I shouldn't have sold that pedal.  ;D

I vote for the hybrid!
Matt

gtr2

I've been meaning to do something one day like the MXR carbon copy which uses the BL3208's.  I really love that delay.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

juansolo

Quote from: culturejam on February 21, 2014, 01:52:56 AM

Both ideas sound really cool. I really do think we need a BBD delay like the DMM that doesn't rely on getting hold of MN3005s to sound good. I'd even break my 'no more BBD delays' rule if that happened.

alanp

That would depend on whether they're as noisy and bad as the v3205d chips.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

juansolo

Allegedly they're better and I *think* you can run them at 12v for a little more headroom.

Yeah, likewise. Not interested in V3205s either. Really just the BL ICs being used in either a 4x delay, or that hybrid.

I suppose at a push you could do a 4x / hybrid MN3008... But how long before the situation with those gets as daft as it is for the 3005s?

alanp

Exactly. I'm hesitant to rely on out-of-production BBD chips these days, and the in-production ones are not as good.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

hoodoo

Congrats CJ nice score mate. Slightly OT, but i read this thread and i've read many like it and have always wondered, why are these things obsolete? Surely, the manufacturer would still be able to produce them and others, if there was a dollar to be made. I wonder what the number would be, to make it worth their while? Are they aware of the pedal building community at all. I'm sure i'm not the first to ask this question, and there's probably a good reason why they don't produce certain things anymore$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Anybody in touch with panasonic, fairchild, reticon :) :) :)

LaceSensor

its been asked before and was in the order of $40k IIRC