News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Retrograde

Started by night-B, March 18, 2011, 08:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

night-B

Here is my recently completed retrograde aka retro-octav.
I made a huge nooby mistake, allowing me to spend hours of debugging... I inverted in/out jacks on left/right of the box.
Now that it's ok I can tell this little pedal sounds so good and the octave effect is really cool. You can hear some 70's mojo  :D
I expected it to be noisy and a little fuzzy, but the fuzz is huge and there is no background noise.
Enclosure is copper powder coated, the lettering is stamped.
I recommand this build.
Thanks guys for the tech help

[attachment deleted by admin]

bigmufffuzzwizz

Looks real good! I really like the simplicity of this pedal! Can you post a picture with the lamp bulb lit up? :o
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

dwstanford

I'm gonna have to get one of these.  Great build.  Where did you get the transformer?

night-B

I'm from Europe so I usually order my parts from banzai ( germany ). This tiny transformer is so cute  ;)
Enclosure is from PPP.
You want a picture of the Led bezel?

[attachment deleted by admin]

bigmufffuzzwizz

Maybe my eyes are decieving me, but it looks like a little lamp bulb, similiar to the ones in a univibe.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

night-B

It's a 5mm blue Led in a cheap bezel. I found it could do the "o" in the lettering...

Haberdasher

Cool, I'm going to build one of these too.
What transistors did you use?  Did you experiment with any different ones?
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

night-B

I used the transistors listed on the BOM of the PDF. I haven't changed them yet 'cause I'm happy with them.
I'd record a soundclip with pleasure but I don't own a mic. I've recently purchase the guitar rig interface from native instruments but I've got compatibility problems with my soundcard. I must use some bad drivers and i've got a 0,5 sec lag when i'm playing : pretty annoying! :-\

dwstanford

Quote from: night-butterfly on March 19, 2011, 10:06:20 PMi've got a 0,5 sec lag when i'm playing : pretty annoying! :-\

It sounds like you have a latency problem.  What software are you using?  Many programs will allow you to taylor the latency to the speed of your system.  You want to get it as low as possible without causing issues with the speed of the computer.  (I.e. 10 milliseconds or less if your system can handle it.)

night-B

After hours of testing, the only one giving signal is "asio4all". With it i can hear my guitar but the minimal latency is 300ms. I sent emails to NI and they told me to change the sound card or the computer LOL. I've got a motherboard soundcard. I tried to disable it in the bios and put an Maudio pci one, after that i usually get blue screen of death in Windows. I think I'll get a mac when I'll get some money to spend on...

madbean

I used an ASIO4all driver for years before getting an actual firewire interface. A cheap Soundblaster card might do the trick. There are several USB/Firewire interfaces you can get at very reasonable prices, too. And they usually have mic pres onboard.

You might be able to improve your current latency by shutting down background processes, too. What kind of software are you using to record?

giudis

Hi friends,

the retrograde is positive ground?

thanks so much

madbean

No, it is a negative ground circuit.