News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Jhs angry Charlie vs mi audio cruch box

Started by zapme, February 14, 2014, 06:46:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapme

Does anyone know of the the specific tweaks that jhs did on the crunch box to create the angry Charlie?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selfdestroyer

rafikian

I made a crunchbox V2 with the presence Pot for a friend of mine, he made a A/B test with angry charlie, and there's a small difference, the crunch box has more treble as the gain goes up.
appearently there's a little difference.
comparing to the cunchbox, on the picture, all component are the same exept for two extra 100nF box caps, one I gues for extra filtering, but the other ?? I can't say where it goes ?!
any suggestions ?!

Willybomb

You won't get far with a new one.  I believe Madbean used to do a version of it until the guys at MI had a chat with him. I'm pretty certain I've seen a pic or post somewhere explaining that they started gooping due to other manufacturers using their design.  I don't think they took issue with the DIY crowd from the way I read it, but from other companies using the DIY resources to clone..

mremic01

It's such a simple circuit and it's already well documented online. Seems like gooping it is a waste of a few cents of epoxy at this point.

As far as I can tell, the earliest Angry Charlies were straight up Crunch Box clones using one of Brian's layouts. They've made some minor changes here and there, but most of the circuit is pretty much the same.

rafikian

Ok, I've just built one and I tried the 100nF in parallel with the 22nF in the tone fiter, I even put a switch to hear the difference, so the sound is better, Less Harsh and there's more bottom end. Ia think this is the ONLY difference.

LaceSensor

Whatever innovation exists at JHS I think I will always remember them as a bunch of Charl(i)etans (arf!)

rafikian

I don't see any innovation  :-\
and when you see andy timmons picking one of those clones ... and then the world is hurrying to do so ... :/

john_p_wi

Quote from: rafikian on February 28, 2016, 01:16:36 PM
andy timmons picking one of those clones ... and then the world is hurrying to do so ... :/

Maybe Andy is trying to get his tone back after dumping his Marshall JMPs for Boogie...   ::)

rafikian

matmosphere

Just cause I'm curious, where's the thread about jhs using Brian's boards? I've got a friend who loves jhs, I wouldn't mind showing him.

madbean

Quote from: Matmosphere on February 28, 2016, 03:30:56 PM
Just cause I'm curious, where's the thread about jhs using Brian's boards? I've got a friend who loves jhs, I wouldn't mind showing him.

A few of the very first JHS pedals used some MBP boards. It's old news...nothing I care about after this many years.

EBRAddict

Quote from: Willybomb on February 26, 2016, 10:27:57 AM
...they started gooping due to other manufacturers using their design.  I don't think they took issue with the DIY crowd from the way I read it, but from other companies using the DIY resources to clone

I don't recall seeing any of their stuff cloned. Do they do any original circuits or just the usual clones of TS, BluesBreaker, BMP, DOD 250, etc.? Kinda hard to claim your design is being ripped off with a straight face when it's lifted from someone else to begin with.

matmosphere

Quote from: madbean on February 28, 2016, 04:47:32 PM
Quote from: Matmosphere on February 28, 2016, 03:30:56 PM

A few of the very first JHS pedals used some MBP boards. It's old news...nothing I care about after this many years.

I'm glad to hear it's all water under the bridge Aust this point. My friend has this perception that because of the cost something like a JHS pedal would be better than something diy, which from what I have learned is not something I think is true.

Ebraddict, I think the point is that there is a difference between copying a circuit and using an existing layout. It's my understanding that layouts are actually protected by copyright laws, circuits themselves are not. Beyond that though I think there is a perception that if you are going to claim your product is worth a premium you need to understand the entire process and be putting in the work yourself.

lars

Quote from: Willybomb on February 26, 2016, 10:27:57 AM
You won't get far with a new one.  I believe Madbean used to do a version of it until the guys at MI had a chat with him. I'm pretty certain I've seen a pic or post somewhere explaining that they started gooping due to other manufacturers using their design.  I don't think they took issue with the DIY crowd from the way I read it, but from other companies using the DIY resources to clone..

Some day there will be people who say they can hear the difference between a gooped circuit and one that is non-gooped. "Solid-mass harmonics" will be a key phrase...