News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Nautilus....(scratches head)...

Started by peAk, February 12, 2014, 02:13:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peAk

Hi all,

So I finished my Nautilus build last night and everything went smooth. On first launch it was acting a little funny so I took the socketed ICs out and reseated them. It seems a little more consistent at that point.

While I was able to get some interesting sounds, I was also able to get really crazy, pretty unusable sounds as well. I also noticed a "little" overdrive/distortion on most settings. I was definitely able to get that envelope-ish effect, but I could quickly lose it and get some pretty noisy  sounds. I also noticed that extreme change in the gain in the last 15% that the build document mentioned. I might do the mod mentioned there eventually.

The build isn't boxed yet so it was a little pain to tweak the knobs/switches while playing.

I am just not sure if I am getting the sound I am supposed to.

Any info on this build and what to expect, what to tweak, etc., would be appreciated.

Betty Wont

it can be a tricky one to dial in. First off, start with the sweep control all the way down. Don't play with that until you have the other controls figured out. Start out in low pass mode on the rotary as that is the most guitar friendly. Put your peak and gain at 12. The hi/lo switch can be in either position. Now when you play you should get a funky filter sound on one setting of the range switch (up/down) and a sort of laser beams shooting underwater sound on the other. This switch has probably the most impact on your sound and most of the settings should be "normal" in one mode and wacky to unusable on the other. From here you can make slight adjustments to peak/gain/pass.

peAk

Quote from: Torgoslayer on February 12, 2014, 04:21:29 PM
it can be a tricky one to dial in. First off, start with the sweep control all the way down. Don't play with that until you have the other controls figured out. Start out in low pass mode on the rotary as that is the most guitar friendly. Put your peak and gain at 12. The hi/lo switch can be in either position. Now when you play you should get a funky filter sound on one setting of the range switch (up/down) and a sort of laser beams shooting underwater sound on the other. This switch has probably the most impact on your sound and most of the settings should be "normal" in one mode and wacky to unusable on the other. From here you can make slight adjustments to peak/gain/pass.

Awesome, will follow this advice when I get home this evening.

I appreciate your help!