News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Well, you know, sometimes I think... why bother?

Started by Willybomb, February 11, 2014, 02:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willybomb

Sometimes, I go nuts and get all ambitious with what I'd like to build, because I think I'd like to have a box that does x, something that does Y, and then I see something like the Zoom G3x and go "Well, f**k it all, because thing does everything I want, and I can probably use my outboard stuff with it too, for a reasonable amount of money with no time wasted".

http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/g3

Then I see a cheaparse unit like this and think "well, bugger me, it's all right there, nearly.  Wonder if I could mod that up or gut it, or whatever.  If the delay and chorus are ok, I'd probably be set".

http://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/PPDLA1/Super-Guitar-Multi-Effect-Pedal-With-Overdrive,-Distortion,-Chorus,-And-Digital-Delay-

And then, I see about the only review on the web that I can find, and I think "Nah, I can do better.  Even if I can't, it'll still be better"

jimilee

Oh you're under the impression we build because we need it? :-D
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

muddyfox

I had the G3 version without the expression pedal a while back and unlike other Zoom stuff I've tried, this one was actually pretty good (especially for the asking price). I actually regret selling it.

And to echo Jimilee (and I mentioned this earlier today in another thread), it's sort of a "if you build it, they will come" philosophy with me. If I need anything, I'll buy it. If i don't, I'll build it.  ;D

gtr2

I have NEVER been satisfied by any of the "do it all" units.  I've had my fair share and they always hit the street a few weeks later.

line 6, digitech, boss, etc.....
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

muddyfox

I'm not saying g3 is great mfx to end all mfxs but for a grabngo thing thats also a looper, an usb interface, has a headphone output and is battery powered, its not half bad.

sent from my mobile device

flanagan0718

I've had several my self. After a week of owning them i hated it. Pod XT live, Boss GT6, Digitech RP7, Digitech gfx2000, just to name a few.

jubal81

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

muddyfox

Yeah, those are great! :-)
Seriously though, having a medically induced sort of tinnitus, I can't really appreciate "good" sound anymore. Oh well...

sent from my mobile device

raulduke

Quote from: jimilee on February 11, 2014, 02:49:58 PM

Ha ha so true.

The building bits the fun part!

juansolo

Quote from: raulduke on February 11, 2014, 05:07:37 PM

Ha ha so true.

The truth is spoken.

I build because I can.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

GermanCdn

Multi units don't seem to last in my collection, everyone but one has come and gone (still have a Vox Valvetronix unit, but I keep it for one part of one song that I've left unfinished for like 6 years).

I find myself more and more getting into single function builds, which certainly doesn't decrease the pedal count.  Point in case, the current setup I am enamored with is a Klone/Kot two in one (both on) with my red strat and a Traynor 20W 1X12 combo.  The exact setup sounds killer, but change one variable in the chain, and the magic is lost.

And yes, all the fun is in the building and the sense of accomplishment at the end.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

slimtriggers

Clearly the tuner he got with the kit was defective.  I'd be suspicious of the rest of it as well ;)

Clayford

Quote from: juansolo on February 11, 2014, 05:47:29 PM
Quote from: raulduke on February 11, 2014, 05:07:37 PM

Ha ha so true.

The truth is spoken.

I build because I can.
This. All of it. +infinity

Quote from: My Wife
Why do you have another delay and 4 distortion boxes on your build queue?

Because I can.
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

Willybomb

Quoteit's sort of a "if you build it, they will come" philosophy with me. If I need anything, I'll buy it. If i don't, I'll build it. 

Yeah, i can really relate to this.  I have two multis, that need boxing that will make life pretty good in terms of setup, but I don't really hook up the electric so much that I'm going to die if I don't finish them, so they're crusing along.  I just redid the artwork and box layout for one last night.

I also have two ODs (a ts808 off sabrotone, successfully rocked, and a Deadringer that needs rocking) that need boxing, and I just got the parts for another vero SHO and a Clark Gainster.  This is on top of a Sea Urchin that's also waiting to be boxed.  But there's no hurry because I already have retail pedals on the pedalboard that do the same in the meantime.

QuoteAnd yes, all the fun is in the building and the sense of accomplishment at the end.

QuoteBecause I can.

I think these sum it up nicely though.  If I ever finally finish anything mentioned here, it'll be pretty cool.

rullywowr

I've been through lots of multi effects.  My conclusion is analog>digital. Less is more so give me an analog pedal pushing a tube amp any day of the week.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!