News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

DIY talkbox

Started by hoodoo, February 11, 2014, 08:26:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoodoo

G'day to all, Matt here, was browsing the forums and came across a post about a DIY talkbox, as in, bonjovi, peter frampton etc. Just wondering if anyone  has built one, has a link for some useful info about how to build one, or even if it's possible to DIY this. I haven't done any research as yet, just thought i'd put it out there. Something, that i'd probably never use, but............. ;D

raulduke

I've never used one.

But I remember hearing a story about them vibrating so much they can loosen your fillings, and give a bit of toothache.

Could be bollocks.... but it's put me off em!

Also, trying a unit in a shop, where the tube that has been in multiple sweaty blokes mouths was also a bit of a turn off  ;D

Found an article here:
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/projects/21-filters-other/198-talkbox2

muddyfox

Quote from: hoodoo on February 11, 2014, 08:26:59 AM
Something, that i'd probably never use, but............. ;D

Building something I'd never use is a problem?
I'm on a wrong forum, then!  ;D Most of what I build never actually gets used much. Ars gratia artis!  8)

stevie1556

Quote from: muddyfox on February 11, 2014, 10:45:57 AM

Building something I'd never use is a problem?
I'm on a wrong forum, then!  ;D Most of what I build never actually gets used much. Ars gratia artis!  8)

Same! I've built loadd of pedals, only use about 3!

I thought about trying ro build one, but it would literally be for just the start of 1 Bon Jovi song.

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

slimtriggers

I built one years ago from the instructions in the Craig Anderton book.  Super easy to build.  In order to really get any use out of it, though, you need a mic and a PA system.

jimilee

Quote from: slimtriggers on February 11, 2014, 11:09:11 AM
I built one years ago from the instructions in the Craig Anderton book.  Super easy to build.  In order to really get any use out of it, though, you need a mic and a PA system.
And.... I'd love to build one for no good reason also.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

billstein

I really don't need one but I think I really need to build one. I have issues.

Clayford

I built one years ago from an old Crate bedroom amp, a salvaged horn driver from a local sound shop, some PVC and clear tubing from the hardware store. I used silicone to attach the pvc to the horn and after some reduction fittings used a barbed brass coupler coming out from the side of the amp. Then some cheap tubing to come up to the mic. Added a couple 100µF(protect that driver!) caps twisted together to roll off the ~100hz and below and it worked a treat. I spent more on the Morely A/B/Y box than I did on the mod.  Used it for one song. Man in the Box. Bad power on a stage took it, and two other much loved amps.

This guy has a really good method on instructables

I think this is one of those "because it's there" builds.
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

selfdestroyer

I built one years ago with a compression driver speaker I got from MGM Electronics.

Googleing around and found this
http://courses.physics.illinois.edu/phys406/sp2014/Student_Projects/Spring05/Jessica_Phillippe/Jessica_Phillippe_Talkbox_Report.pdf

Clayford

Quote from: selfdestroyer on February 11, 2014, 05:15:39 PM
I built one years ago with a compression driver speaker I got from MGM Electronics.

Googleing around and found this
http://courses.physics.illinois.edu/phys406/sp2014/Student_Projects/Spring05/Jessica_Phillippe/Jessica_Phillippe_Talkbox_Report.pdf
I'm not sure how that qualifies as a final report for a 400 level Physics class - but that kid has the best damned Sister in the world!
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

hoodoo

Thanks for the responses and links, looks like a fun project, to add to the evergrowing list  ;D. I don't know if i'd destroy an amp to build one though, and you're right about that kids sister, very cool big sis. The one she built looked great, all the best, Matt.

stecykmi

here's one that uses an LDR as the controller instead of the speaker driver. the results aren't as dramatic, but it's a lot easier to make and you don't need any sort of mic/pa setup.

Guitafuzz

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Mojo Fandangle

I built one , it sounds great and is extremely easy, I didn't even do any soldering.
I got the directions from a "Moot Booxley Ghetto Talkbox" video on Youtube.
I also did my own "How to build a Talkbox" video (by Mark Dally) but the Ghetto one is probably more thorough for instructions.
Good luck with it, it's a rad project and is great fum to use.
"If you don't do it yourself, no-one else will do it yourself"

https://www.youtube.com/user/MarkDally