Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Constant sorrow: i need advise:P

Started by Gledison, February 09, 2014, 11:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gledison

Hello Folks!
As usual i've found troubles on my way!😫
Normally the standard radial caps were fitting so far in my builds! Now i've built a zsro point delay and the caps are on the edges of the board and of course, i cant close the lid!
I have no low profile caps and i find quite hard to find them in Germany.
My question would be: can i solder the lids of the caps a little longer in order to bend them a little? I've seen people doing tricks with resistors but never with caps!
Thanks for any help!
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

m-Kresol

I guess, it should work. I don't see any reason why not.

Where from Germany are you exactly? Where do you source your stuff. I generally have the opinion to source locally to minimize transport times (and shipping costs), but I'm just having the problem that my shipping from musikding.de got lost apparently. It's been 2.5 weeks since they shipped. Also, shipping is really heavy since from germany to austria it's already considered "international". I guess, I will start sourcing from smallbear, etc.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

muddyfox

Hmmm... your board really shouldn't be this high... Why is it tilted? What's underneath that's pushing it up this much?

Cortexturizer

board mounted pots? is it possible to unmount them, make the lugs shorter, and that way make the board lower? really shouldn't be so high...
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

Gledison

Quote from: muddyfox on February 09, 2014, 12:11:56 PM

Hmmm... your board really shouldn't be this high... Why is it tilted? What's underneath that's pushing it up this much?
I have mounted pots and a dpdt switch that is setting the high! :(

Gledison

Quote from: m-Kresol on February 09, 2014, 12:02:15 PM
I guess, it should work. I don't see any reason why not.

Where from Germany are you exactly? Where do you source your stuff. I generally have the opinion to source locally to minimize transport times (and shipping costs), but I'm just having the problem that my shipping from musikding.de got lost apparently. It's been 2.5 weeks since they shipped. Also, shipping is really heavy since from germany to austria it's already considered "international". I guess, I will start sourcing from smallbear, etc.
Hey mate.
Im located in Mannheim, close to Heidelberg.
Recently I'm ordering from Banzai. Sometimes i order from Tayda but takes 3 to 4 weeks to arrive, plus the lottery with the customs!:S

muddyfox

Did you remove enough of all the nuts and washers from the dpdt? Sometimes I had issues when I went switch-nut-enclosure-washer-nut, switch-enclosure-washer-nut made it work although it's harder to make it not move arount that way.

Which cap values are the issue here? I have some low profiles and I can send you some. Should reach you within a week...

hoodoo

Chromesphere, on this forum, also sells low profile caps cheap, look in the buy and sell area  ;)

RobA

As long as they leads don't contact anything, it's fine to bend the caps over. There are plenty of boards out there that have the caps bent all the way flat, particularly on older designs.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

stevie1556

Quote from: RobA on February 09, 2014, 02:54:20 PM
As long as they leads don't contact anything, it's fine to bend the caps over. There are plenty of boards out there that have the caps bent all the way flat, particularly on older designs.

Agreed.

I think I've got some low profile caps. If you want a few for the build then let me know as I'm not really using them anymore. I'll need to double check what I've got first.

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

Gledison

Thanks a lot guys for the offer.
i removed all the nuts and i will try to remove the protective caps of the pots. maybe i will gain some mm there.
If doesnt work, i will just bend the bloody bastards...
thanks a lot!

AllenM

Another little trick would be to place some of components on the opposite side of the board so you have more room to bend them to make them lay flat. Not sure if that would help in this situation but I have done it a time or two.

AlllenM

wgc

You could also remove a bit of the lip on the lid with a file
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

pickdropper

Quote from: wgc on February 09, 2014, 05:00:56 PM
You could also remove a bit of the lip on the lid with a file

Yeah, I've done that before.  I mill it down, but a file would work too.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

icecycle66

You could put the caps on the other side of the board.