News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Inductor question

Started by angrykoko, February 08, 2014, 10:16:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

angrykoko

Inductors don't have polarity or direction do they?

I didn't think they did but I got this one and the leads are cut like it does.
http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=22R104Cvirtualkey58010000virtualkey580-22R104C

sorry for a dumb question, first time inductor user :)
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

RobA

I had the same question when I first got a radial inductor to use and it still bugs me. As far as I can tell, there's no difference in the circuit. I did some web searching when I first got mine and it seems that the different lead indicates which lead comes off the inside of the windings and which off the outside. Although, I couldn't find which meant which, so I cut one open to look, but now I can't remember anyway. When I look at the SMD versions, I don't even see any indication of which lead is which.

Even on the parts with the lead distinction, the included schematic diagram in the spec sheet doesn't have an orientation. It certainly seems that orientation doesn't matter. Maybe there is some special circumstance (RF usage?) where it might, but I can't even find any indication of that doing web searches.

If anyone knows the real answer to this, I'd like to know too. But, I've experimented in several different circuits by reversing the orientation back-and-forth, and I never see any difference.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

angrykoko

Thanks Rob.

I'll just not sweat it and see what I get.

Cheers!
Koko
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.