News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Graphics Input please

Started by Jabulani Jonny, February 08, 2014, 03:31:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jabulani Jonny

Hey guys,
Let me run this design by you one more time.  Again, due to what turned out to be rather crappy yellow anodized enclosures from PPP, I'm attempting to camouflage some of discoloration.  This will be for a Morning Glory build.  I didn't want to go with flowers, but I did want something along the stained glass theme.  This design actually incorporates some flowers and foliage in the design so I think it works. 

I worked on the legibility of the knob and switch labels.  It's only a three knob pedal, so I'm not real worried about me or a buddy forgetting what the knobs do, but I do want to be able to read the function.  At any rate, the bile colored yellow-green is pretty close to the color of the enclosure.  Lovely, yes? 

Thoughts on legibility?  Design?  Hate it?  Well, if you hate it, I prolly won't change it because I'm ready to build the freakin' thing. 

Oh, and want to hear something funny?  I was completely re-thinking this design and was like, "I'm going to be like davent and come up with some amazing artistic design that incorporates like a Banksy painter painting on the enclosure trying to cover up the bad spots and then I could do this and that cool thing and it's going to be the most beautiful pedal I've ever made!".  I even went and dug up davent's pedals and checked out the art and started reading through everything he does, and was quickly overwhelmed.  So I came back to this.  It was like I got inspired to draw a picture and thought I'd use the Sistine chapel as inspiration.  Yeah, not so much. 

At any rate, let me know your thoughts.  I'm ready to get one of these built up. 

Jonathan

pickdropper

I think the text outline helped a TON.  I can easily read the text now.  Looks nice.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

AntKnee

I like it, even with the yellow. Dont know how the actual pedal looks, but the graphic is good. Print it!
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

Jabulani Jonny

Thanks for the confirmation guys.  Pick I appreciate you taking a look again. 
Jonathan

blearyeyes

The knob labels do not "POP" as much as the other labels... Forget the switches, we don't need no stinkin' switches! gotta see the knobs! Make them prominent. BOLD BLACK!  Now I don't think I am an opinionated person...

blearyeyes

I would reverse the the switch graphic which has a black background and yellow text with the main knobs. Make them with a black background and yellow text and the switches can be the text you used on the knobs. IMNSH opinion.....

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

das234

I might go with black on clear, rather than the yellow background.  That way the yellow of the enclosure will show through and match.  If you print a clear decal with yellow and black like in the picture, the combination of yellow enclosure + yellow decal will look darker.

Jabulani Jonny

Thanks for the extra input guys. I actually printed up the labels about an hour ago, so no turning back now. They are simply black and clear, no color printed. The yellow was to simulate the color of the enclosure from PPP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jonathan

blearyeyes

Love to see the finished pedal!

Gledison

Looks great!! I would only paint the internal part of the letters in white. would be much more pronounced!
cheers
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

Jabulani Jonny

Yeah, painting white underneath would have made it pop, but that takes two things I don't have...patience and white paint. 

The decals were printed the other evening, applied yesterday and here's a shot of seven boxes getting envirotex'd.

This is actually my first run with envirotex and I used Juansolo's tutorial.  So do one or seven?  Go big or go home I say.   ;D

Oh and I did have a screw up on the Morning Glory graphics.  I didn't account for the washer around the switches.  Doh.  I may just use the lock washer since it's smaller.  We'll see.  The good news is that Aion (Kevin) made for board mounted switches so I could probably get by with just the nut and not put a washer in there since the switches won't be moving. 

Jonathan

jimilee

Wow, those look great. I really dig the golden centaur too!
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Jabulani Jonny

Thanks Jimi. I'll be populating and wiring over the next few evenings. Hopefully I'll have a build report up over the weekend.

I made the mistake of playing Aion's refractor (Klone) for several of my friends. All the Centaurs you see are going to my buds. One of which is selling his actual Klon and keeping this build. Crazy. I'm keeping one of the Cerulean (Bluesbreaker/morning Glory) builds and the other two are going to a couple other guitar playing buddies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jonathan

billstein

Really nice. Did you also paint the boxes?