News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pedal for my son - Sparkplug VS Greenbean

Started by PhiloB, February 03, 2014, 04:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhiloB

My son wants and OD pedal.  We recently built MB Sprout Fuzz and he is pumped.  I'm looking at the Sparkplug VS Green Bean.  I've poured through the forums looking at both which has confused me.  I was interested in the Sparkplug because it's not a TS;) Saw some reports of 'fizziness' in the decay of the SP.  Was this resolved in the revision?  Any input would be greatly appreciated!

selfdestroyer

Not to derail your choices, but I just built a Egodriver this weekend and I love it. Its a great OD and the mods that Brian put on the PCB are very usable as far as clipping choices. Just my 2 cents.

jimilee

Build both! The vero layout for a t.s. is pretty straight up.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

PhiloB

Is the ego driver a prefab board?  Don't see it the main projects page

GermanCdn

You can't really go wrong with either.  With the Green Bean, you're getting a bit of a known quantity - it's based off of the most popular OD in history.  The Sparkplug will give you a little bit more tonal control with the EQ section.  I've built three of each in various configurations and they all have their place.  Personally, if it was the first OD I was building, I'd actually go with the Sparkplug, if for no other reason, than to be a little bit different than everybody else.

No, the Egodriver doesn't exist as a prefab board anymore; you can get it from Keefe (Haberdasher) or get three Nanodrivers from Osh Park.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

selfdestroyer

Quote from: PhiloB on February 03, 2014, 04:53:21 PM
Is the ego driver a prefab board?  Don't see it the main projects page
Brian has the etch mask in the build doc. Not sure if you are etching your own boards.
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/EgoDriver/docs/EgoDriver.pdf

PhiloB

I have etched 2 boards successfully but on my last build had two traces lift when mounting the pots.  My son is 11 and want the experience to be as smooth as possible and for him to be as involved in the build as possible.  Figured a fabbed board would be a safer route.  I've done a few vero layouts as well but again prefer the ease of prefab for my boy:).
I guess I'm needing to remind myself that he's 11.  He won't care if I don't pick the most awesomest OD board ever.  I tend to get carried away.  Thanks for letting me think out loud:)

gjcamann

This is great that your kid is picking this stuff up!!! I would love to make a pedal with one of my daughters when they get older - if they have any interest.

I'd recommend a simplified Les Luis on vero
http://revolutiondeux.blogspot.com/2012/01/lovepedal-les-lius.html
It's such a unique sounding pedal, really good sounding and has a very useful sound and its a super easy build.
Or try etching a Les Luis.
Bonus points: help him make his own layout on vero.

Clayford

You can find those nanodrivers here and at $10 for a set of three it's a great deal. Build one - socket one - and surprise a friend with the other! Brian's Green Bean board adds a few options as well and as such "isn't quite Y(et).A(nother).T(ube).S(creamer)." I quite like it. You might too!

As Jimilee mentioned the vero of the TS is quite simple and easy to follow.  Mark's tagboardeffects site has over 220 layouts for overdrive alone. Many of them are based in some fashion or another on the TS because a lot of OD's are based on the TS.  Some are rather simple and others are quite complexVeroboard is cheap enough on Amazon, and you can find OD's and TS's in any colour you like.

Oh and remember that the difference between a TS808 and a TS9 is 2 resistors!

head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

Clayford

Noticing that your Son is building with you - I'd say order the greenbean or the Nanodriver and get busy.
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

PhiloB

hoodoo

Don't dismiss the egghead, as a great sounding overdrive either. Simple build and sounds fantastic. You don't, have to put it in a 1590a  ;)

PhiloB

Just what it suspected, there'll all great...need to build them all!  Seriously, I don't guess I'll go wrong any way we go.  Thanks for all the input:)

billstein

Quote from: hoodoo on February 04, 2014, 01:14:33 AM
Don't dismiss the egghead, as a great sounding overdrive either. Simple build and sounds fantastic. You don't, have to put it in a 1590a  ;)

I was thinking the same thing. I know the Greenbean is considered a "cowboy" build, but I think it is still a bit complicated for a noob. My first Greenbean is still in the box of fail and I never could figure out what I did wrong. The Egghead is an easier build that would add to his confidence. 

PhiloB

Ordered the Egghead, Sparkplug, Retrograde and Collosalus!