Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What's the secret to your tone?

Started by junkemail86, February 02, 2014, 11:19:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

selfdestroyer

Quote from: neve1272 on February 03, 2014, 06:59:21 PM
wife says i dont sound like me without these

Man I am so jealous of that Sunn.. I want one so bad.

neve1272

yeah great for rhythm guitar people have described it  as "slow" that used it in the studio
i have used is for bass in the past with good success
I tryed a lot of amps ac30, 5150m2 ,mesa stiletto ,orange rockerverb,
i liked all of them to some extent the 5150 was great on my wifes songs for sure and it is easier to play leads (if i flub up a little the sun turns to a ball of goo)
even after she bought me  the ac30cc for our anniversary  after like a year she was like..... you dont sound like you. weird huh
Kip

toetap

Ok OK my secret!.....A fresh set of latex nails on my right index ,middle, and ring fingers......Finally, got that out in the open   ;D

AntKnee

I agree that "your" sound comes from your hands. Its the way you ring with your instrument. The way you touch it. The consistency of your sound, however, comes from the consistency with which you actually play. That only comes with time and practice.

I used to think my sound was a bridge humbucker guitar into a marshall tube head. Over time, I figured out that as long as I had a quality guitar, into a quality amp, I could get "my" sound on just about anything. I played a PRS into a marshall half stack for years, then I started playing a HSS strat, which I vastly prefer now, into a Vox AC50 combo. Both rigs sound like me, though.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

jkokura

Yeah, I'd totally agree with the 'always sound like me' thing. I've played a few different amps and many different guitars over various sets of years now, having played for more than 15 years. I can say for certain that even playing with different guitars, I still sound like me. I did it last night jamming with a friend, with him playing my strat and I playing his - I still sound like me.

By the way, the POD HD500X is a cool piece of gear, even if it is digital. It's pretty flexible if you like the multi effect units. I personally wouldn't own one because I have all that gear in analog or individual pedals, but still - cool stuff.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Cortexturizer

Steve Howe of Yes uses one live. That alone is enough of a recommendation for me.
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams