News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

how much dough do you spend a month on this addiction?

Started by danwelsh, February 02, 2014, 08:57:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danwelsh

Just wondering if you fellas are spending 150-250 a month on this "hobby"(more of an addiction) like myself

Rockhorst

Easily :P although I hope to spend a little less in the upcoming months. I've basically acquired everything I need to keep building until june :P

stevie1556

It depends. In March I'll need a restock of parts so I'm guessing a good £400 min. But that will last me for a few months.

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

juansolo

£178.78 averaged out over 4 years (when I started keeping track of the accounts). We try to sell as much as we spend and to date have managed to keep ourselves around £4-500 in deficit. We've been trying to break even since I started keeping track of this ;)
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

selfdestroyer

I'm sorry guys, but I can not have that in writing just incase my wife is stalking my posts here :]

haveyouseenhim

Man. You guys are nuts. :o   I spend about $50 every 2 months (if even that much)

It has been even less lately. Most of my money has been going into shooting sports.
I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms

midwayfair

I haven't used anything except my paypal balance in perhaps a year. (Well, sometimes it dips into my bank account if I used the Paypal for something else.)

Jabulani Jonny

I just spent about $450 and I hope that lasts me a little while. However that included 7 painted enclosures from PPP for builds for friends so my plan is to recoup all of that. We'll see how that works out though. I can't afford the $150/month amount, but I probably average out to $40'ish per month.  Enclosures and PCB's are what get me. I need to start reading schematics and building on Vero. But MB and others just make it too easy to build great sounding pedals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jonathan

GermanCdn

I probably spend, err, $80 a month on parts, $60 a month on PCBs, and $500 a year on enclosures.  Looks like that adds up to about $2k a year.  Actually not bad, figured it would be worse.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

timbo_93631

I'd say I am spending $250 a month average and recouping all of it and more by doing custom builds.  If I build something for trade that scrubs away profit pretty quick for the month, but I have been able to make some really nice trades for hand built things I appreciate and would never otherwise be able to afford or justify spending the money on with my family in mind. 

Nearly every month I make a profit, and that turns into a pedal here or there that I keep and in the end it was "free" so to speak.  That is a nice thing.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

danwelsh

The way I look at it even if I was blowing 500$ a month.....I could be spending my hard earned cash on much worse things :)

pickdropper

Quote from: timbo_93631 on February 03, 2014, 04:42:41 AM
I'd say I am spending $250 a month average and recouping all of it and more by doing custom builds.  If I build something for trade that scrubs away profit pretty quick for the month, but I have been able to make some really nice trades for hand built things I appreciate and would never otherwise be able to afford or justify spending the money on with my family in mind. 

Nearly every month I make a profit, and that turns into a pedal here or there that I keep and in the end it was "free" so to speak.  That is a nice thing.

Yeah, I don't build for sale as much as some, but I do it here and there and it generally pays for parts and/or yields some really cool trades.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

alanp

I got $60 once, and that was probably a loss on the pedal. I haven't managed to sell anything, other than that.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jimilee

Probably 100 per month on average parts pcbs people selling stuff. Usually when I say ok that's it til I get paid again,somebody will post something I want like a small stone phaser for a stupid low price and I have to buy it. About every 3 or 4 months I place a large order with blms and use the free financing offer with pay me later through PayPal. ( it's the only revolving credit I use and my balance is around 130 right now.) I do that just to keep my credit rating up.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

juansolo

Building to sell is a necessary evil of the hobby I've found. I don't mind building stuff for friends/friends of friends/people I speak to on the internet. But of late I've been having to put odd things on eBay and for sale to the great unwashed, which I'm not as happy/comfortable with. Still, it keeps me building so in that respect I can put up with it.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk