News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Know when its time to give up

Started by chromesphere, February 01, 2014, 09:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chromesphere

Posted this last night on my channel.  I find it an interesting topic and am wondering what you guys think. 

Do you have a (internal) time limit for how long you will try to fault diagnose a problem effect before you will move on?  6 hours?  2 days? 

Whats been your worst build, ever?  "the nemensis" build.

The small stones I mentioned in the video was a absolute nightmare....i was pretty inexperienced when I built them.  I spent an entire long weekend trying to get them working and cursing in the study at it the whole time.  I actually stopped building for about 6 months after building those 2. 

Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

danwelsh

stopped for 6 months is what happened to me when I built an mkc from gpcb and couldn't get it going...I tried and tried, desoldered, checked, and triple checked everything but still couldn't get it goin....got pissed off and just stopped....hindsight my cheapie iron was the problem.....every joint was cold.

alanp

WOW, you are fast with your hands! ;) More seriously, um, the um's get a bit, um, annoying. Minor quibble.

I've got a icecream container with failed stuff. Currently it's just a tap tempo delay. I mostly do not box before I rock (except for 1590A's and stuff where I'll need to solder wires to the right length), so I've never struck the problem of a boxed pedal that doesn't bloody work. The MN3008 Dirtbag sat in the box of fail for about 6 months (to clear my head, and so I didn't drive a screwdriver through it in frustration.)

Good point overall, though. Learn when to step back and evaluate, unemotionally.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

chromesphere

I 'um' less then I used to, but there will always be 'um's' I think that's just how I talk...But they have improved.  Watch my etching video.  Seriously, even I cant watch that one without getting frustrated with the um's.

I agree, my dirtbag is STILL in the making.  It was a nemesis (with v3205's which sounded horrible).  I couldn't help but think "all that effort for this...?".  But I recently wacked in a couple of mn3008's and now it sounds amazing.  It's a really nice delay.

danwelsh

the um's don't bother me Paul....its gives my brain a chance to register what you said before the um :)

chromesphere

Me too :D I try to get my thoughts straight before hitting the record button.  presenting really is a skill.  I think im improving  :o

jimilee

The retrograde is my nemesis! I built 1 successfully. I have since attempted 2 more. I melted 1 down, sold the other. I think the issues were the diodes. I am prepared to try again! I had a paramix I trashed but unknown why it wasn't working. I have a headphone amp I trashed but I got it working and trashed it trying to get it into a 1590a.  I will usually lay it down for a while days weeks months before I pick it back up and try to fix it. I know I will just melt it down if I don't.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

hoodoo

Paul, while randomly youtubing one day, i came across your video about etching a circuit board. I've always been a pedal addict, so, I thought that i'd give it a go, which i did and was immediately hooked on this great hobby. The point being, i'm sure there are others that have been drawn to this hobby by your fine videos, so " UM " away mate and keep up the good work. On circuit fails, i've been lucky to some extent, and soldering, early on was usually my nemesis, that caused me to throw away in disgust, several vero builds and a rubadub reverb, along with the brick, as i destroyed the thing in the end  :'( So nothing in the box of fail, but more than several in the bin  ;)

jkokura

"We will never give up, never surrender, whatever the cost may be."

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

GrindCustoms

I'm not the type of guy who will troubleshoot for hours, days.. weeks..

I throw it in the Box O Fail and do another one....
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

rullywowr

I can usually figure what went wrong pretty fast but I literally had to enlarge my box of fail today.   Usually I figure out what I did wrong and slap myself for the dumb mistake. It's a learning process but each one gets easier and faster.  It's undeniable the box of fail will get filled up again and I will need to make it larger.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

chromesphere

Quote from: rullywowr on February 02, 2014, 02:54:15 AM
I can usually figure what went wrong pretty fast but I literally had to enlarge my box of fail today.   Usually I figure out what I did wrong and slap myself for the dumb mistake. It's a learning process but each one gets easier and faster.  It's undeniable the box of fail will get filled up again and I will need to make it larger.

Definitely, and less frequent!

juansolo

I've found and to step away from the build for a while. There have been a few times when I've left it, gone home, had a shit, and had an epiphany just looking at the schematic/layout. Otherwise, it's handy to have a Cleggy, who is a ninja at fault finding. When you've been staring at the circuit so long, a fresh set of eyes is not to be underestimated. We've both seen where we've each had a diode in backwards for example. When it comes to the nitty gritty of tracing and fault finding. With a DMM and audio probe we can usually get a problem narrowed down reasonably quickly.

My own personal nemesis is the Pork Barrel. I've made three of the bastards and not one of them worked first time (for different reasons each time). After two you think it's bad luck, three just let's you know that it's out to get you.

We still do have a box of shame though. It's happily not got very much in there at the moment.

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

chromesphere

Quote from: juansolo on February 02, 2014, 10:41:51 AM
I've found and to step away from the build for a while. There have been a few times when I've left it, gone home, had a shit, and had an epiphany just looking at the schematic/layout. Otherwise, it's handy to have a Cleggy, who is a ninja at fault finding. When you've been staring at the circuit so long, a fresh set of eyes is not to be underestimated. We've both seen where we've each had a diode in backwards for example. When it comes to the nitty gritty of tracing and fault finding. With a DMM and audio probe we can usually get a problem narrowed down reasonably quickly.

My own personal nemesis is the Pork Barrel. I've made three of the bastards and not one of them worked first time (for different reasons each time). After two you think it's bad luck, three just let's you know that it's out to get you.

We still do have a box of shame though. It's happily not got very much in there at the moment.

You know, if I had a box of....pride...or whatever you would call it, the Pork Barrel would be in it.  I had a victorious moment with that build.  Finished it off, hooked it up for testing.  Was thinking to myself "alright you bastard, show me what I did wrong".  Worked first go...I couldn't believe it!  its not exactly a simple pedal...I thought I would have ATLEAST ONE solder bridge.   :o

Gledison

For me there is always some issue. "Im a man of constant sorrow, i've seen trouble all my day"
And looking forward for the next trouble!😜
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?