News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Do you clean your PCBs after soldering?

Started by Gledison, February 01, 2014, 04:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gledison

Hey guys!
Dont know if everybody do this but i found easy to check for solder bridges, etc.. If u clean the pcb after soldering! The rosin that is burned during soldering can be easily removed with isopropanol. I use an old toothbrush for it!
Just a tip from my side!
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

micromegas

'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

jimilee

I so this only if it doesn't work and the initial debugging turns up empty. I'm lazy like that.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

rullywowr

I do this but a lot less since I switched to "no clean" flux and solder. I have a small bottle of isopropyl and simple green on by bench at all times. Toothbrush ftw!

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

pickdropper

I always clean surface mount boards.  I just think it looks better.  I sometimes clean through-hole boards, but I am not consistent about it.

I use isopropyl and flux cleaner.  Isopropyl is a lot cheaper and works, but it takes a lot of work to get the sticky residue to go away.  Flux remover is a better solvent, but it can be pricey and it's got some pretty nasty chemicals in it.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

pickdropper

Another hint for cleaning: when you wash your boards, sometimes crud will get trapped under ICs.  While the board is still wet, it helps to blow under the ICs with compressed air.

Also, keep alcohol and flux remover away from sockets and un-sealed trimmers.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

muddyfox

Quote from: pickdropper on February 01, 2014, 08:35:42 PM
Isopropyl is a lot cheaper and works, but it takes a lot of work to get the sticky residue to go away.

I knew ahead of time about this but boy was I shocked. I was populating Alan's Dopp1.4 (a pretty osh board) just the other day with regular 60/40 resin cored solder and afterwards tried to clean it with 99% IPA. That thing turned into a stick fest that was just impossible to clean off. I scrubbed it for good five minutes and the thing is not only sticky still, it's also way uglier than it was before. I guess I'm just gonna live with flux residue on my boards, it's not like anyone is gonna see them...  ::)

alanp

I use 60/40, and now I'm *definitely* not cleaning my boards!
- Terry Pratchett
My website

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

davent

If it's an icky glop of hardened  flux it will pop off with the encouragement of a dental pick, no nasty chemicals or sticky mess. For the most part i can only see the flux if a use a 10× magnifier to examine the pads and traces.

Dental pick works great for cleaning flux off switch, pot and jack lugs, eyelets, turrets etc... Endless uses for picks, always reaching for it to do something.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

juansolo

I ain't got no time for any stinking cleaning   ;D

Never cleaned a board I've made... Maybe I should...!?  ???
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

danwelsh

does it hurt anything to leave the flux on there.....like over time?

jubal81

Haha. Now we're all guilty and paranoid about our dirty boards.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

alanp

Who's worried? I'm not. If it hasn't been an issue up till now (with all the high gain pedals I've built), it's not likely to suddenly be an issue in the future. From what I've heard, it's mostly stuff in the RF region where you have to get anal about board cleaning.

So sit back, have a beer, and let it go.
- Terry Pratchett
My website