News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Modded Biyang RV-8 Reverb

Started by PhiloB, February 01, 2014, 04:44:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhiloB

Picked it up for $20.  Really decent sound when in the vintage mode.  Problem was there was a significant volume drop.  Built up a EHX LPB-1 with trimmer on vero and with the help of fine folks here, have it running at unity!  Stoked that I can access the trimpot through the battery compartment, you know, in case I want to crank the volume and use the pedal for a cavernous solo or some other nutty business.  This would be my first mod to a factory pedal.

jimilee

Dont forget us when you're rich and famous!!!
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

billstein

Nice one Philo. Way to work that out. :)

RobA

Nice. Any chance at identifying the IC's on there? I can't make out the markings for them on the photo.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

PhiloB

It would take a magnifying glass.  I couldn't make it out with my naked eye.  Used to have awesome eyesight, now I'm 40.

RobA

You're still young compared to me. I have to use one of those 10x magnification loupes to read some of those SMD parts.

I'm wondering though since there is a crystal on the board. I'll look and see if I can find a high mag photo of the board online somewhere.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

AllenM

PhiloB

Rob, in my brief searching I couldn't find anything!  Let me know if you come across something.  There is a A/B switch and A sounds like crap, it'd be nice to figure out what's going on there. 

RobA

Will do. How do you like the pedal overall?

PhiloB

I don't have a lot of reverb experience other than amp spring reverb.  If kept in the 'B', it's very nice, especially 'Spring' setting.  Worth the $20 for sure.  But my needs aren't extensive when it comes to reverb.  Once I have my favorite setting the knobs probable won't get moved much.  It is pretty versatile with the 'Blend' and 'Time' Knobs. 

RobA

Hmm, if I can't figure out what they are doing with a web search, I may just have to pick one up. Thanks for the info.

PhiloB

There is also a Tri-Verb (RV-10).  Looks like the same circuit in a smaller enclosure.

RobA

Quote from: PhiloB on February 01, 2014, 04:42:20 PM
There is also a Tri-Verb (RV-10).  Looks like the same circuit in a smaller enclosure.
Ah, that's the hint I needed. It looks to be based around this processor,
http://www.wavefrontsemi.com/index.php?id=11,14,0,0,1,0

PhiloB

RobA

Quote from: PhiloB on February 01, 2014, 05:39:33 PM
So there is untapped effects?
Could be. It depends on how Biyang programmed it or if they modified the code on it at all. It might even be possible to reprogram it yourself if they've put the programing connections on the board. I'm doubting that though since it would add to the cost and wouldn't do anything for their sales/marketing.  The chip itself though certainly has more algorithms on it and the possibility of programing other algorithms.