News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

how to fix an incorrect hole?

Started by danwelsh, February 01, 2014, 12:51:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

Seems like there is a tutorial around here on just that subject and I think it included jbweld and painters tape
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

stevie1556

If you're in Yankee land, then I believe Bondo is good. If you're the UK side of the pond, then car body filler is good. Put something on the  inside of the enclosure like duct tape, fill the hole in (put excess amounts in), then when it's dry, sand it down so it's flat with the enclosure then spray over it.

It should work well enough that no one will notice the wrongly drilled holes.

If it makes you feel better, I have a drill press, and no matter how well I mark the drilling holes out, they still aren't 100% accurate.

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

Willybomb

TNblueshawk

If you decal and Envirotex you are good. I would know. Decal, epoxy, dry, flip it and put hot glue in the hole, done.
John

JohnL

Quote from: TreeSlayer on February 01, 2014, 01:05:16 AM
this is a great question. I usually use my drill fails for the boxes I do for myself. it seems to me you could use some JB Weld to fill the hole, sand it down and try again. i'm going to do a little experiment with that idea tomorrow, and i'll letcha know how it turns out!

LT
I use JB Weld to fill misdrilled holes to often. I tape the inside , fill the hole, smooth the outside and let dry. Then I sand and paint, or at least I plan on painting more of my enclosures.

playpunk

I've epoxied a penny to a bad hole.
"my legend grows" - playpunk

pickdropper

Quote from: playpunk on February 01, 2014, 01:50:59 PM
I've epoxied a penny to a bad hole.

I could see that looking kind of cool.

If the hole is on the top of the enclosure, I'd probably just use a full face label and cover up the hole with it.  It would look just like any other pedal from the outside.  It is by far the simplest solution and you may want to cover up the fix for the hole anyway.

If the hole is on the side, either a hole plug or maybe the JB weld. 
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

culturejam

I usually glue something decorative on the box to cover misdrilled holes. Michaels and other craft stores sell all kinds of cool little flat stone-like thingies you can use for this. I got a bag of what looks like rune stones, and I've used them several times to cover either mis-drills or if I change the position of a control.

Here's an example:

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

danwelsh

Just grabbed some quick set jb weld.....gonna patch these holes on my break at work, will post pics at midnight or so when its all set.

danwelsh

the jbweld is the answer guys... once primed at painted it'll be just like they weren't there

Gledison

My question here would be: what to do next? After repairing the hole. If u have to drill again, some mm around the previous repaired hole, once u drill the new hole, the "walls" of the repaired hole will resist to the drill shear?
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

DutchMF

Quote from: Gledison on February 02, 2014, 02:21:52 PM
My question here would be: what to do next? After repairing the hole. If u have to drill again, some mm around the previous repaired hole, once u drill the new hole, the "walls" of the repaired hole will resist to the drill shear?

This was my thought as well, and I think it's impossible. But the results shown with the new hole well clear from the previous one look really good, once painted, nobody will notice! And I seriously had to refrain from posting improper stuff regarding the 'incorrect hole' part........  ;)

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

Gledison

Quote from: DutchMF on February 02, 2014, 04:21:18 PM

This was my thought as well, and I think it's impossible. But the results shown with the new hole well clear from the previous one look really good, once painted, nobody will notice! And I seriously had to refrain from posting improper stuff regarding the 'incorrect hole' part........  ;)

Paul
Paul, maybe one could do, is to drill first the right hole, which is normally pretty close to the wrong hole😛! And use this techinque to cover the wrong hole😜! Agterwards just need to file it off anf adjust the new hole! Bahhhhh so many holes!!😛👌
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

danwelsh

I'm not sure....but I was told and it says on the package jbweld is drillable. I agree with the other post that says drill it right the first time.....I was way off with my jack holes as I underestimated the length of the PCB so the new holes don't even come to the walls of the old. I have the new holes drilled now....that other exposed hole is actually for my dc jack...I painted the enclosure today and will post my finished stage fright tomorrow or tuesday in the build report section. overall I'm happy with the end result of the jbweld and glad I didn't have to order a new enclosure and repurpose that one

davent

There used to be a tutorial on Small Bear for isolating a metal power jack- in essence drill an oversized hole for the jack, repair the hole with Bondo then redrill in the center of your Bondo patch the correct sized hole for the power jack and you now have an isolated metal power jack. How durable it proved to be, no idea (he sells shoulder washers for the job now), as long as the entire hole is only through one of the materials there should have no problems drilling.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?