News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Clear coat: acrylic laqcuer versus epoxy resin (e.g Envirotex). experiences?

Started by Gledison, January 29, 2014, 10:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gledison

Quote from: juansolo on January 31, 2014, 07:24:34 PM
Nope if you go through from the back you have to put pressure on that'd lift it.

We've tried everything and unless your stepper starts at 3mm, you're boned.

We leave the decal intact and pour. Then we do nothing except locat the LED in the hole behind the decal. Usually leaving a little bit of a gap so it doesn't press up against it.
Geeeee juansolo!
now i understand what you mean with "hidding the LED" :P
do you have any pic showing how it looks like under the envirotex?
Mate, thanks a lot for your Tutorial. im ordering a local epoxy resin and lets see how will be....
cheers
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

rullywowr

A stepless bit or reamer will work well for getting the led holes cleared out.  Many "T-handle" types go below 3mm.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

juansolo

Quote from: Gledison on January 31, 2014, 08:55:29 PM
Nope if you go through from the back you have to put pressure on that'd lift it.

We leave the decal intact and pour. Then we do nothing except locat the LED in the hole behind the decal. Usually leaving a little bit of a gap so it doesn't press up against it.
Geeeee juansolo!
Mate, thanks a lot for your Tutorial. im ordering a local epoxy resin and lets see how will be....
cheers

You can't really see it, but the LED hole isn't cut out. All the others are, then tape is applied to the back of the box so you can fill those holes with Envirotex.

Hidden LEDs are cool. Forgot to mention that we use flat ended LEDs also. We used to sand them down until we realised they existed...
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

pickdropper

Quote from: Gledison on January 31, 2014, 03:03:35 PM
Quote from: juansolo on January 31, 2014, 09:47:41 AM
Quote from: billstein on January 30, 2014, 10:15:06 PM
I don't have to much experience, but I did learn something from the first box I did. I'm in the process of putting together a Lavache, I drilled the box and painted it, then put a waterslide decal on and finally the Envirotex. I cut the waterslide where the holes in the box were and taped it on the inside, after letting it cure for 4 days I drilled out the Enviro. The bigger holes I was able to use a step bit and it didn't lift the Enviro at all. There was one small hole for the 3mm LED and where I had to use a regular bit and that did lift the Enviro. I think this might be one of the reasons Juan and Cleggy hide the LEDS under the decals, the holes are to small for a step bit. So there doesn't seem to be a problem, just make sure you use the right tool.

Absolutely right, that's why we started hiding them. You can't reliably use a proper drill bit through Envirotex as it'll always try and lift it by design. A stepper bit is the only way and if it's anything like ours, they start at 4mm. We don't hide 5mm LEDs when we use them, they get popped through with the stepper.
Sorry, guys, dont think i understood properly :P
so, with the 3mm LED hole, shall i leave the decal intact? after pouring the resin, how do you drill than the 3mm with a regular bit?
Cheers

I'll be the different one here:

1). For most holes (pots, switches, etc) I drill first.  Then I put on the label but don't cut out the holes.  The sticker keeps the epoxy from dripping through.  After 24 hours, I cut out the holes with an exacto.  Pretty easy.

2).  For 3mm LEDs, I don't do anything until the box has cured for 48 hours or so.  Then I hand drill through the epoxy and the aluminum with a standard 3mm drill bit.  Because it is done slowly by hand, it doesn't pull up the epoxy and looks nice and clean.  It is slow, so I only do the 3mm hole that way.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

micromegas

Quote from: juansolo on January 31, 2014, 09:17:22 PM

Geeeee juansolo!
cheers

You can't really see it, but the LED hole isn't cut out. All the others are, then tape is applied to the back of the box so you can fill those holes with Envirotex.

Hidden LEDs are cool. Forgot to mention that we use flat ended LEDs also. We used to sand them down until we realised they existed...

And how do you keep the led in possition? Silicone?
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

juansolo

It's usually soldered to an optotron, but otherwise I'll try and secure at least one of the legs to a stomp to anchor it. As a last resort I'll superglue it in place.

Optotron and superglue methods used here:

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

TNblueshawk

Gled I'm a planner myself so I get it. It only matters on the mixing in that you need to make sure the mix is 50/50 and very important is to mix very well with the double cup method. I use those plastic drink cups, the red and blue ones. The ridges inside the cup allows me to get it perfect. I have not mixed it well enough and you end up with a forever sticky spot(s).

Finally you will mess something up, it will happen. Its called " your" learning curve. In other words you will develop your technique and learn to live with what you like and don't like as you go.

Dive in man and give it a shot. You are as prepared as you can be.
John

muddyfox

im ordering a local epoxy resin and lets see how will be....

Please let us know how that works out and also which exact product you used. Pictures or it didn't happen!  ;D

Gledison

Quote from: muddyfox on February 02, 2014, 12:42:10 PM
im ordering a local epoxy resin and lets see how will be....

Please let us know how that works out and also which exact product you used. Pictures or it didn't happen!  ;D
Ive just ordered and soon will try! Will let u know how it goes!
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

muddyfox

Thanks!
Right now I ordered 'tex from UK and the price was reasonable but if I can buy something locally all the better!  ;)
If something is available say in Bauhaus in Germany I can usually find it locally...