News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Clear coat: acrylic laqcuer versus epoxy resin (e.g Envirotex). experiences?

Started by Gledison, January 29, 2014, 10:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gledison

Hey guys.
i was searching on the web for some tutorials about using epoxy resins for the clear coat but couldnt find anything really clear..well, the coats where clear :P
i've seen that some of you use the resin with great results.
Does someone have any tip or know any tutorial about using the epoxy resins?
im getting annoyed of several clear coats using acrylic spray.
i have open questions when using the epoxy resin such as : it can form little air bubbles during the mixing, how to avoid them? I've seen a guy using fire or a heat gun on the surface (i would like to avoid this procedure)
well, if you have any suggestion, tips, tutorials, pictures of your builds, would be great..
Thanks in advance
Gledison
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

rullywowr

Envirotex is really easy to use.  As long as you mix the resin + hardener in equal parts (very important!) and mix thoroughly, you will have great results.  It's really very easy and produces much better results quicker than any rattle can.  I've only done 3 to date and all of them have been way better than any clear coat I have tried.

Don't worry about the bubbles and having to use a torch to get them out.  In the instructions, they instruct you to blow (exhale) on the finish which helps remove the bubbles.  It's not the heat which gets them out, its the CO2 in your breath which helps them come to the surface.  It's actually pretty neat to see all these tiny bubbles move to the surface and pop like they do when looking at a soda in a glass (like Coca Cola or Sprite).  A torch makes this easier but you can get great results just by exhaling on the surface.

Just ensure you put it in a level place to dry, and that you remove any waterslide covering the holes first before you apply envirotex.  It helps to apply decal, let dry, cut out holes where pots/switches go, and then use a bit of masking tape from the backside to plug the hole.  Apply envirotex with a popsicle stick, clean up any runs with a lint free towel and isopropyl alchohol.  Once it's dry you can use a step bit to cut out the holes again.  That's it.

Also, when you put it somewhere to dry...be sure to cover it with a clean box or container so you don't get any dust settling in your finish.  Juan + Cleggy have a great tutorial on it.  Don't be skeeerred.  It's easy.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

bcalla

juansolo

Cleggy has discovered a new trick with 'tex that appears to do wonders for our finishes.

Heat the bottles up baby bottle stylie prior to mixing it. Basically stick them in a bowl of hotish water for 5-10 mins. The pours we've been getting since he's started doing that have been like glass.

I really need to update that with that snippet... done.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

billstein

Quote from: rullywowr on January 29, 2014, 10:58:10 PM
Don't be skeeerred.  It's easy.

There you have it. I was kind of hanging back like you were, but when you made the leap I knew I had to take off my pull ups and put on my big boy pants and get it done.

Gledison

Hey guys, thanks a lot! That is a great tutorial and i will definatly try it.
Just one thing, how does it works with the enclosure's sides? Shall i pour it and let it run over the edges? Orits suppoaed to be only for the top part?
Thanks a lot!

juansolo

We only do the tops, but some do full pours. Suck it and see which you prefer.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

muddyfox

Quote from: juansolo on January 29, 2014, 11:24:15 PM
Cleggy has discovered a new trick with 'tex that appears to do wonders for our finishes.

Heat the bottles up baby bottle stylie prior to mixing it. Basically stick them in a bowl of hotish water for 5-10 mins. The pours we've been getting since he's started doing that have been like glass.

This is interesting. As I won't be doing huge batches and will mix a bit at a time, do you think it could hurt the big 'tex bottles to be constantly reheated? could I just heat the mixing plastic cups' worth?
Also, does heating affect the amount of bubbles?

muddyfox

As long as you mix the resin + hardener in equal parts (very important!)
I was thinking of maybe weighing the cups to get equal parts? Is it the weight that needs to be the same or the volume? Or is it not that crucial?

Also, when you put it somewhere to dry...be sure to cover it with a clean box or container so you don't get any dust settling in your finish.

Would it help to prop the covering up a bit? Lack of air circulation can't be good for drying...?

Gledison

Quote from: juansolo on January 30, 2014, 09:36:56 AM
We only do the tops, but some do full pours. Suck it and see which you prefer.
Suck it? i thought we need to blow it? :P
im already starting tests, lets see how it goes..
thanks man for the great tutorial

Gledison

[/quote]
I was thinking of maybe weighing the cups to get equal parts? Is it the weight that needs to be the same or the volume? Or is it not that crucial?
[/quote]
Hey man. in the envirotex specs it says equal volumes. The density of the epoxy and the polyamine seems to be the same, so if you measure in weigh as well shouldn´t be a problem.

muddyfox

Thanks man!
Honestly, I didn't crack the box open yet so I don't know what the instructions say. I often don't RTFM anyways.  ::)
Since I'm gonna be working with smaller batches, I'm guessing weighing may be more precise. Some testing is in order, that's for sure.  ;)

pickdropper

Quote from: juansolo on January 29, 2014, 11:24:15 PM

Interesting.

Heating the epoxy once mixed lowers the viscosity and speeds up the exothermic curing process.  Mixing the two components when warm should do the same thing.  It also should lower the viscosity level, but the overall cure time would be reduced.

Have you noticed it running down the sides a bit more with this process?
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

marauder

Dave,  I dont get it running down the sides anymore, I can just about get the perfect amount everytime.  If I realise theres a little too much i use the stirring stick and scoop off 1cm along the edge, so it never gets the chance to run down the sides.

The last 8  pours have been pretty much perfect, the best i've done.

The envirotex is noticably clearer when i've mixed it when warmed, and much less bubbles when applied.

jimilee

Is it safe to heat and reheat the bottles or should I measure out a normal amount and heat it?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.