Main Menu

TZF

Started by Kipper4, January 29, 2014, 03:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kipper4

Has anyone here built a through zero flanger please
If so which is best.
I've got some mn3007 and 3101 on the way plus some 78L12s
I was going to do the ibanez fl301 but then I discovered the tzf's mmmmm intresting.

Scruffie

Which is best? As far as I know there is only one project for the electric mistress on DIYSB that does TZF oh and some project on FSB but I don't know anyone who's built that.

I have built a couple, they're not simple though.
Works at Lectric-FX

madbean

Isn't the A/DA TZF? Dunno if the boards are still available.

culturejam

I'm not sure I really get the point of through-zero flanging. To my ears, it just sounds like the volume drops out when the LFO crosses the zero point.

I've had two flangers that would do TZF: TC Vortex and Jack Deville Mod Zero. Both sounded the same in TZF mode, which was as I describe above (nullification of sound at the zero crossing).

What am I missing, if anything?
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Scruffie

Quote from: madbean on January 29, 2014, 03:18:12 PM
Isn't the A/DA TZF? Dunno if the boards are still available.
Nope, it gets close in sound but is not TZF, only has one delay line, but boards are still available.

I did adapt it to TZF but it's already a big build and as it gets close anyway... I wouldn't say it's the best candidate.

The MXR-117 adapted is one of the better options IMO.
Works at Lectric-FX

Scruffie

Quote from: culturejam on January 29, 2014, 03:23:14 PM
I'm not sure I really get the point of through-zero flanging. To my ears, it just sounds like the volume drops out when the LFO crosses the zero point.

I've had two flangers that would do TZF: TC Vortex and Jack Deville Mod Zero. Both sounded the same in TZF mode, which was as I describe above (nullification of sound at the zero crossing).

What am I missing, if anything?
That's pretty much the point but that cancellation should give a kind of weird heady sound...

Problem is to get much use out of it, IMO it really needs to have a good fuzz in front of it to bring out the notches properly which if you don't want makes it kinda useless as clean it does just sound like the sound cut out.
Works at Lectric-FX

Kipper4

Does it work by phase cancellation then?
Thanks for the replys guys.

Kipper4

I'm thinking it might work well for something like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTZoJ01FpD8

Kipper4

Thanks Scruffie
more night time reading from RG. Saved to favorites