News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Snowlocaust

Started by haveyouseenhim, January 29, 2014, 06:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

haveyouseenhim

No power all night, freezing temps, transformers blowing every few seconds lighting up the dark sky like the 4th of july. Walking around the block checking on the old folks, dodging falling trees and downed power lines.   Fun times.  

The south can't handle the cold :o
I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms

billstein

Wow! Where do you live?

haveyouseenhim

billstein

Yeah, that's one of the last places I would think of when it comes to that kind of weather.

jubal81

We got about a half-inch of snow last night and some freezing rain and the whole world is shut down. Town's in full state of freak out and it's an official state of emergency.

Power's on. The not having electricity thing is hell.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

atreidesheir

It is cold in TN too.  I think I am getting old.  It used to not bother me.  Now I feel the cold in my bones.  sucks.  My cousin is on a ventilator in the hospital.  He had the new flu and it nearly killed him.  He is 25.  Strange winter.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

jimilee

Chattanooga is cold too! Got about an inch and freezing temps,cars piled up every where. There was no real warning, so I imagine folks freaked out and tried to rush to get milk and bread.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

culturejam

Quote from: haveyouseenhim on January 29, 2014, 06:41:11 AM
The south can't handle the cold :o

No sir, not at all. I grew up in coastal NC, and we had accumulation snowfall about every 8-10 years. A few flakes falling = no milk or bread to be had at the grocery store.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

haveyouseenhim

Well we just got power back.  Last night sucked. I was wrapped up in 4 large blankets and had a thermacare heat wrap in my hands. Huddled next to a little shower radio like a post apocolyptic refugee listening for news of the alien resistance.

das234

Hmm.  It's lovely here in Wisconsin.  -7 degrees yesterday and a stiff breeze.  But we're pretty well adapted to that sort of thing (wool undergarments and whatnot).

angrykoko

I'm in northern Atlanta, traffic was a joke.  after 3.5  hours and only going maybe 2 miles I turned around and parked and starting walking and hitch hiking my way home.  what a mess.   

I've never seen it stick that fast and turn to ice that quickly, I mean in about 1 hour if it starting the roads were already causing car slides and people getting stuck on hills.
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

GermanCdn

Four and a half feet of snow, 12 inches of ice, -30 degrees tonight.  Anyone who wants to come visit to warm up is welcome :P
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Bret608

Like das234, I am in Wisconsin now, but I grew up in the deep south (Louisiana). I always get tickled hearing about schools closing over a few snow flurries. But I know the ice that happens down there is no joke!

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: GermanCdn on January 29, 2014, 03:54:17 PM
Four and a half feet of snow, 12 inches of ice, -30 degrees tonight.  Anyone who wants to come visit to warm up is welcome :P

No thanks. I like to keep my penis on the outside of my body.

It doesn't seem like much, but since the south doesn't normally have snow or ice we aren't very prepared. No salt trucks large branches that have never felt the weight of ice. It got a little nutty last night.

m-Kresol

Here in Austria we're pretty much used to snow and other conditions that come with winter. I never had any power cuts. I hope none of you get it the wrong way, I'm just amazed how big the differences are. Even if there's usually no snow in southern US, it just blows my mind how massive the impacts are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials